Stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How many of ya'll sidemounters actually dive in sidemount only cave? How many of you have gotten stuck before? What caused the problem, what did you do to fix it, and what do you do differently now to prevent the problem?

How many of ya'll sidemounters actually dive in sidemount only cave? How many of you have gotten stuck before? What caused the problem, what did you do to fix it, and what do you do differently now to prevent the problem?

I rarely get the opportunity to dive caves given my geographic location but I'll dive wrecks or mining related things. I have been stuck a number of times but nothing to serious. For me it was a matter of manipulating that item which has snagged or exhaling and reversing my way out followed by perhaps removing some gear and reattempting.

The biggest issue I have had was getting stuck, silt everywhere, and a reg deciding to freeflow all in about 145 FFW. By the time I got unstuck and switched regs the tank had dropped a thousand psi and silt was everywhere, I left the wreckage by feel and memory alone. I have since made that opening a bit bigger...

I dive sidemount size passages on a regular basis and have been stuck a few times. It's just a matter of trying to wiggle out and eventually finding what works. Being that by that time the visibility is usually blown out, there's not much more you can do. And there's really not a whole lot you can do to change things to prevent the problem other than not going into passages that small.

I don't have a lot of sidemount experience, but I did get stuck/wedged in a river cave. My Nomad wing was bunched up on the top and I didn't know it until I was trying to exit from the cave. Very tight exit while trying to carry a camera and strobes. Had to stop, and evaluate where the issue was. I wiggled from side to side but discovered that wasnt the problem. When I deflated my wing I was able to wiggle free. This was a silty cave and i was warned we would probably be on the line at exit. After being stuck for a short time, I made sure we had to exit on the line.

As others said see what works, stay calm and be comfy in low vis. I only got stuck when I misjudge the opening backed out took a tank off and went ahead. Also listen to that little voice in your head about should I keep going or turn.

Yeah, you were hoping I would wiggle out...since you were still behind me.:rofl3:

Stay cool, you wiggled in, keep your calm and wiggle out.

First off,if someone has purchased sidemount gear and diving the sidemount configuration,it doesn't mean that you are ready to sidemount ie dive small restricted areas. Things that one needs to know before venturing into this area is how to remove gear and be properly weighted to do this,work in zero viz,and know how to signal your buddy (feet or hands) in zero viz for help to name a few. One thing that is always prudent is don't cross more than one restriction in a dive. Just because you made it through the restriction on entry,doesn't mean the exit will be with ease. The restricition can have a different shape on exit,plus any silt kicked up will slow the exit,hence know the previous restriction well before attempting another one. A very famous sidmounter died awhile back,and one of the problems with slowed exit due to the number of restrictions,and unfamiliarity. When someone gets stuck the first inclination is to force yourself through with pulling,kicking,wiggling hard,but sometimes this can make the problem worse,or cause a line entanglement. I try to have a surgical approach,and slide through carefully with changing profiles,then try a tank removal if possible (don't forget a tether),and these don't work then it might be time for square peg/round hole.

Good reply. I don't think it would be to far off topic if I ask what your procedure is for using a tether? As a new sidemount diver I am curious.

(don't forget a tether),and these don't work then it might be time for square peg/round hole.

Good reply. I don't think it would be to far off topic if I ask what your procedure is for using a tether? As a new sidemount diver I am curious.

I will use something like gold line or rope consistent with that thickness,and I will have it tied around the neck of the tank,and the other end will have locking carrabiner which will attach to a dring. The length is a little shorter than the length of the hose I will be breathing on. How important are tethers? Ask Bill Rennaker sometime about the time a tank got away from him,and the only thing keeping him connected was the mouth piece cable tie and his clenched teeth.

Back
Top Bottom