a bootie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I had been on a recent Malibu shore dive and had a most difficult time over the rocks as my booties, fine for a boat dive, have no real sole and were right painful slipping amongst the Malibu boulders. Santa brought me beautiful new Pinnacle Apex 6mm booties, much warmer and more solid, comfortable, with a good sole.

But they don't fit in as far to my splendid Atomics splitfins. The older, slighter booties slipped into that toe-hole in the front, and these new one wedge in about an inch shy of the opening. Is that a problem? Should I put some silicone grease on them to slip them in easier? Is that present fit just the way they are supposed to be and I am happy? Should I get new fins with a larger opening?

Before you buy new fins, why not make a dive with the old ones and see how they do? The thrust from finning may force the fins down on the new booties quite nicely. My fins, which I appropriated from my wife when she decided not to pursue diving, fit very tightly. So tight that they're damn near impossible to get off without wrenching my knees pulling them off. They're not uncomfortable, but I know that when my booties wear out (soon) I'm gonna have to buy a new set of fins to fit the new booties.

Not all boot and fin combinations work together. I personally have 3 sets of fins to match not only the style of diving (dry suit, heavy wet suit & tropical) I'm doing but also match the type of boots I'm using. If your fins don't fit properly with your boots you'll either end up with bad cramps in you feet if the boots don't go all the way in the pockets or if they are to loose you'll end up with nasty blisters. Sounds like you are going to need to purchase another set of fins. Nobody ever said diving was a cheap sport. :D

My beloved force fins have narrow foot holes intentionally. I did not even think about booties all being different.I cram the new bootie into the fin and put it on at the platform just before I step in. It works fine for me. The boots fit me and the fins fit me so I figured, why not try. I've done at least ten dives this way with out any problems.
The boots do fit my split fins without extra effort :eyebrow:
so I got that goin' for me....

Thanks for your reply, this all has me thinking to just stick with them for awhile, anyhow. I called the Atomic Aquatics folks and not surprisingly they said that the booties should slide all the way in to the hole, just slightly poking out, and a new set of fins was needed. mmn. all in good time, I reckon. thanks for your help.

I will say I took both pair of fins with me on the dive trip just in case it didn't work. Maybe you could paddle 'round a pool for a bit to see if it works.
Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom