Micromask owners: Did you use toothpaste for initial treatment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a new Aqualung Micromask, and I'm wondering if good old-fashioned toothpaste is the best way to do an initial cleaning to fight fogging. Once upon a time, toothpaste was the norm for ANY new mask, but I think times have changed.

Still waiting mine to arrive. But will give the mask nice and long toothpaste treatment just in case...

There is nothing different with this mask than any silicone skirted slag glass mask. Some people have success with the toothpaste or a combination of that and Dawn. I burn my mask on the inside with a lighter, edge to edge, seems to work better for me. The silicone skirt is surprisingly heat tolerant. After burning, allow to cool and then wash the scum off with Dawn soap and hot water thoroughly. N

I used one of the scrub cleaners which did some good, however the best results came after using just non gel "white" toothpaste. The mask did not fog after about 5-8 scrubings.

I'm looking at getting one of these masks and i was wondering what is the downwards vision like with this on? I had an aquasphere sphera mask and seeing my gauges in the water was not easy.

I have one and used good old fashioned white Crest. Worked like a charm! I also use a commercial defog prior to each dive and have no problems. On the 1st the water temp was 33f with no problems. It did fog a bit on the walk down to the entry point though! Air temp was 25f. :)
Regarding the vision on this mask, its great. I replaced a big lense mask with this one and really like the field of view and comfort.

Most mask makers advise against toothpaste and the like. I just replaced my mask that had been treated with toothpaste and the repacement mask fogs much less having done nothing to it. Just my 2psi worth...

Just curious here, what could simple toothpaste do to a mask?

Apperently the lens are pre-coated with some process that retards fogging. Toothpaste has abrasive qualities which removes such coatings. I am however speaking about glass lens and not the cheaper plastic varieties...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom