Maldives January 16-23, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coombsm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All

I have booked a livaboard trip to the Maldives in January, 2010. I have booked on the M/Y Island Safari II Royal for 8 days of diving.

I am an AOW diver with about 25 dives under my belt. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on diving in the Maldives and what to expect for currents and other things.

Also does anyone have experience taking photo or video in the Maldives and the use of a Red Filter with my camera.

Thanks all, Merry X-Mas and Happy new year..

Firstly - i'm envious! This looks a superb vessel/set up.

Maldives diving can be fantastic, but make sure you let the DM's know how little experience you have. I'm sure they will teach you a few strong current tips that will help you enjoy the dives. Some of the currents can be very strong. Great fun, once you get the hang of it.

i first went to the Maldives when i had a similar number of dives. Had a great trip & rapidly developed my diving skills.

Take a reef hook.

Try & kit up close to the DM & jump in as quickly as you can. If eveyone gets spread out in the surface current, it makes everything thereafter more challenging.

I think this lob goes from Male. if so, this is great as you walk from the baggage carousel straight to the harbour side. Be prepared for an early first dive. i've twice done the check dive within 2 hours of landing.

Please do post a trip report when you return. I'm sure that i would not be the only SB'er interested to learn about this lob

Have a great trip.

Thank you very much for your advice and tips, I will look at a reef hook for sure.

I will be posting a trip review on my return as well as pictures and video hopefully..

Happy New Year! Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom