Key Largo Diving in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m planning to make a quick trip to Southern Florida in mid-February. I’ve never been there, so I’m looking for some advice.

My current plans call for 3 boat trips (6 dives total) from Key Largo over 1 ½ days. They will all be fairly shallow dives (25-50 feet) to sites such as French Reef and Molasses Reef. My key question is the about the weather that time of year. What is the risk of bad weather that would prevent boats from going out? What are the wave heights like in that area? What thickness suit should I wear for the dives mentioned above?

I’m planning to fly 18 hours after my last dive. Is that generally considered a sufficient interval after 1 ½ days of diving?

Any advice is most appreciated.

What temps are you used to diving? Keep an eye on reports for wave height etc from the NOAA and keep in mind that the ocean can and will do something completely different than predicted whenever it wants.

IMHO - I would never fly within 24 hours of diving. I'm sure others may disagree but that is my rule for myself.

I’m planning to make a quick trip to Southern Florida in mid-February. I’ve never been there, so I’m looking for some advice.

My current plans call for 3 boat trips (6 dives total) from Key Largo over 1 ½ days. They will all be fairly shallow dives (25-50 feet) to sites such as French Reef and Molasses Reef. My key question is the about the weather that time of year. What is the risk of bad weather that would prevent boats from going out? What are the wave heights like in that area? What thickness suit should I wear for the dives mentioned above?

I’m planning to fly 18 hours after my last dive. Is that generally considered a sufficient interval after 1 ½ days of diving?

Any advice is most appreciated.

HillsideDiver - it would be a good idea for you to fill in your profile. It is hard for us to give you advice when we have no idea about your experience, where you have been, where you are coming from, etc. :wink:

Planning a dive trip around 1 1/2 days to dive is pretty risky no matter where you go. There is always a chance that windy conditions could prevent the boats from going out. Also, flying 18 hours after the last dive is considered by some people to be okay, I always allow 24+. If you can, try to dive nitrox as it will lessen your nitrogen load.

Thanks for the advice.

Per your advice, I filled out my profile, but to save you looking it up here it is: Advanced Open Water, 7 years diving experience, about 50 dives. Age - 50's, in good shape (swim 1-1.5 miles non-stop 2-3x a week). Most of my dives are in 60 degree (bottom temperature) water, using a 5 mil wet suit.

Unfortunately, my schedule precludes any more than 1 1/2 days. I realize there's no way to predict conditions 7 weeks in advance, but I'm just trying to get an idea of probabilities of bad conditions.

I've been down in January and March, but not February. If you have a 5mm suit then I suggest you take it. YOU may think the water is a bit warm for that time of year, but after a while it gets a tad cold. I've done January and March in a 3mm, but I'm used to 50º and below temps. The locals will all be wearing 5mm's or a 3 mm full with a 3mm shortie over top (like a farmer john) Not to mention hoods and gloves!

Molasses reef is great! I would try to get on the Benwood as well, great wreck dive and LOTS of life! I was just down in October and did a dive on Snappers Ledge which was awesome! (If only my camera wasn't on the fritz!)

What dive operators are you using?

I'd like to hear more about what's to see and expected viz and conditions for February in the keys...

Thanks for the advice.

Per your advice, I filled out my profile, but to save you looking it up here it is: Advanced Open Water, 7 years diving experience, about 50 dives. Age - 50's, in good shape (swim 1-1.5 miles non-stop 2-3x a week). Most of my dives are in 60 degree (bottom temperature) water, using a 5 mil wet suit.

Unfortunately, my schedule precludes any more than 1 1/2 days. I realize there's no way to predict conditions 7 weeks in advance, but I'm just trying to get an idea of probabilities of bad conditions.

On ScubaBoard, at least, its always a good idea to provide some info so your question can get an answer - threads sometimes go on and on just b/c the OP failed to provide the proper info to answer his/her question.

A 5mm suit will be fine - you should expect water temps on average, in the low 70's - I would say try a 3mm, but if you are doing repetitive dives, and on the shallow sites you can get an hour bottom time, stick w/ the 5mm - also bring a fleece or other type of windbreaker - air temps can be in the 70's - or lower if we get a cold front.

A cold front is your worst possibility - todays marine forecast is 3 - 5 in the upper Keys and much higher Jupiter - Ocean Reef (far northern Key Largo) - bottom line is diving in the Keys, especially at the shallow spots, may be a problem due to surge.

During the winter months, cold fronts cause high winds and resultant high seas - you just have to monitor the weather and take your chances - you also could have beautiful weather and calm seas - but the chances of bad weather increase during the winter months.

I'd like to hear more about what's to see and expected viz and conditions for February in the keys...

The winter months often bring the clearest viz - just be aware of the weather issue mentioned above.

Not sure exactly what you mean about what's to see in Feb in the Keys - There is not an "event" in the Key's I'm aware of like the Golaith Grouper (Jewfish) and Lemon Shark aggregations in Jupiter, for example. The minnows are a summer event at places like French Reef.

The upper Keys have great wrecks, and reefs - so much has been written about this area you really need to do a search - but if you have the flexibility, June - October offer the best, most consistant weather patterns.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom