How much should I pay for a hired DM to work as a guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive with my two children and on occasion have hired a DM to accompany us when we are diving at a new location.

In the Florida Keys the quoted cost was $40 (2 tank boat diving)
In La Jolla to quoted cost was $50. (2 tank shore diving)

I am OK with both.

In the Carolina's the quoted cost was $150. (2 tank boat diving)

Is this reasonable or not. (I am not complaining about any LDS or operator - just looking for the facts)?

If you haven't already, you may check to see if they have a "Discover Local Diving" class/brief. It's a PADI thing and I don't know if the other agencies do something like it - I bet they do tho. I looked around here in Long Beach and have found that it's about $40-$50 for a 2 tank beach dive, but it's not just folow the leader. You meet Friday night and the DM (Usually a DM, not an instructor) gives you a briefing about where you're going, what you'll see - common stuff, what you MIGHT see-keep your eyes open. If they are anything like the guys that did it up north at my last LDS in Monterey, you'll see pics, maps, and get ANY question answered. It's usually only about an hour on Friday, but at the end you feel you could go out and dive it without a guide. In fact up north, alot of the time, the DM was just there for moral support, he followed the divers "just in case". It helped them get a better feel for the area so they felt confident in going out to that area next time. Then he would usually go to lunch with the diver(s) and talk about what they say and answer more questions.

Hopefully you find one like that-good luck.

The cost of the boat trip has been added to the cost of the DM. If the DM takes a seat on the boat to dive with you, then it is logical that you are paying 50 for him/her and 100 for the boat trip, or some combination...

You might try Force-E web site; I recall some of the boats they book w include a DM in the water with you. Plus (no I don't work for them) they can book you on a nice smaller boat (less people) and you can request appropriate sites for kids that adults will still enjoy. Just tell them your exact situation and they'll try to book you on the right boat.

Another idea is Prodive. I think, but am not sure, they charge 15 for a DM to go with you. It's a bigger boat but during the week it's mostly filled with their students and their instructors so it's o.k. I never went with them on a weekend because I assume the boat fills up and I personally don't like trips w lots of people. If I'm right about the price then I think you'll be in good hands.

This would cover WPB down to Miami so don't know if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom