Conch Republic and/or Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! It has been some time since I was here last (last March/April to be more precise).

Due to some unforeseen circumstances my wife and I never did make it to the Keys to go diving as we had planned. We have since completed our OW certification but have not been diving since. We would like to go to Key Largo in April and do our first ever ocean diving.

From all I have read both Conch Republic and Silent World are well regarded here, thus making my dilemma that much more difficult.

I am looking for advice as to why I would choose one over the other for total NEWBIE diving? (Cost per se' is not an issue as it seems they are both reasonable and close to each other in price. I do know that we will be doing ZERO wreck diving giving our limited experience, so if one does that more than the other that would help in the decision process).

Finally...one item I read was the distance between the shop and the dock at SW. Is that REALLY an issue or just one little nit that people use to differentiate one shop from another?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Never dove with Conch Republic but I have dove with SW on several occasions. Nice boats, great crews and no compaints at all. The boats are maybe 4 miles from the docks but once you check in there is no need to go back to the shop so IMO it's pretty much a moot point. We check in the day before and head to the boats in the morning. There are a couple of wrecks that would be fine for you to do. The City of Washington and Mikes Wreck are in less than 40 ft of water and are perfect for new divers. Nothing like the Speigal Grove but still a wreck.

I think you'll get great diving from both ops, but I prefer Conch Republic always friendly attitude. They will take you diving with only 2 divers on their boat and Capt. Gary and his crew will bend backwards to accommodate your needs.

I have never heard a single substantiated bad comment about CRD!

I always dive with Conch Republic. Excellent service... great crews... they're a top notch operation. The boats are docked just outside the shop.

Scuba_Dad and LowVizWiz are exactly right. And before you compare prices get a quote for exactly what you may be renting (don't assume) or the specific trip.
I've been with Silent World a few times and Conch Republic Divers many times. CRD is my far and away choice. Laid back, efficient, super-friendly, accommodating, safe and they have a small and a large boat which is good for varying conditions and number of divers. Gary, Brenda and crew do an outstanding job - every time.

As you mention, being newer to diving site selection is very important. Both of the ops you mention are very good. I would recommend that you call or look on the website for the trips scheduled for the days you will be diving. You will have a much better time on molasses or or pickles as opposed to one of the deeper wrecks. (Initially) get some nice easy dives in while taking in the beautiful scenery. If they both happening to be going deep that day, you'd be better off finding someone going shallower. (And everyone has to see the Christ statue at least once!)

You can't go wrong with either...

The SW dock is only an issue day one as you sign in... and their multi-day package discount is legendary.

If you're coming from north of Key Largo, the SW dock location is great once you've signed in and don't have to go back to the shop; first or second left off the Overseas Highway.

Actually it's the first U-turn after the CircleK. Follow the signs for Atlantis Dive Center, they are just next door.

They are both good shops but Gary and Brenda are hard to beat for customer service!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom