Open Water Fast Track

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzana

Reaction score
I am going on holiday in a couple of months with a friend who isn't a diver yet but is planning to become one while we are there. I have seen an option to do PADI Open Water as a 'fast-track' course, the idea being that you do the theory in advance using a CD-ROM, thereby saving a day on the course.

This sounds like a good idea if you are on holiday and you want to get wet asap, but I am not sure if she will learn as much if she isn't with an instructor? Although I am not terribly experienced yet (AOW 30 dives), I guess I should still be able to help her with the basics if there is something she don't understand. Has anybody done this course, or know someone who has, and what are your recommendations?

Thanks,

The method of studying before class is actually better for most adults who don't want to sit through a scripted presentation that is geared toward the slowest student.

Kind of like college, few university profs teach anything, they design education programs, counsel, and evaluate so you can receive documentation of education attained. They can field your directed questions. It's the most effective way for larger number of people to get educated.

I do most of my classes using "fast Track" if you want to call it that. Most people can teach themselves more effectively than having it spoon fed to them. It also insures they are studying the right material that is required for mastery with nothing left out.

When instructors present all of the course material, sometimes things can get glossed over. Especially when the instructor knows what questions are on the test, and if the instructor is trying to cut corners. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this, but making a case why self-study is quite effective for many reasons)

That "fast track" also means a commitment from the students to engage in the course for a high amount of time in a fewer number of days. You get the same training time in the pool with the instructor, except these classes have more students in them sharing individual time in front of the instructor and divemaster. A good instructor will spend more time in class expanding the book knowledge rather than letting class out early. Also a good density of divemasters is needed for effective pool training.

There won't be any assurance that every student will pass the first time through. 80% will.

You want to really speed up the class, pay for and do the private one-on-one lesson. You cover a lot of ground, more repetitions, in less time and get more individual attention.

I've never heard of the "fast-track", but I have heard of the accelerated. If that's what this really is, yes, it does cut down on the lecture/classroom, but you still hvae to pass the written exams and answer all the knowledge reviews. You'll still have to do all the pool work also. Is it the best way? I dunno. Do alot of people like doing it this way, you betcha.

Why not have 'em do a referal, that way the classroom and pool is done prior to vacation, this will save you even more time on vacation.

Any good course takes several weeks to complete. Your friend should interview instructors in your local area and take the class before going on vacation

My son took an accelerated course....But he was one of those who studied each and every thing on his own prior to attending the first day...

He asks LOTs of questions, and can recite nearly everything in the OW manual...

Now, we are doing the only thing I'm aware of that makes you a good diver, which is diving...

--Sean

Suzana once bubbled...
I am going on holiday in a couple of months with a friend who isn't a diver yet but is planning to become one while we are there. I have seen an option to do PADI Open Water as a 'fast-track' course, the idea being that you do the theory in advance using a CD-ROM, thereby saving a day on the course.

Thanks,

While I'm sure many will defend the "fast-track" courses, the one thing you may want to consider is that many that defend the course are usually the ones making the money off of the class. Now that being said, consider the following examples:

If you wanted to learn how to golf [ and actually hit the ball straight down the fairway] would you go to the "fast-track" golf-pro or would you go to the one that would spend more time with you???

If you wanted to become a black-belt in karate would you go to the karate school that told you that you could become a black-belt in 2 weeks or would you go the the school that made you earn the black-belt???

If there was a skiing equivalent of "c-cards" would you go to the ski school that "certified" you to go down the double black diamond moutain before you were skilled enough to do so???

The point being is that I could go on all day with analogies and it's often times striking to me that so many people are willing to "fast-track" training in a sport where you are putting your life in an environment that the only thing that will save it, is training..

Remember, you get what you pay for and to me the idea that everything that course has to teach you academically can be taught absent the need for the instructor should set off a light bulb in your head saying that either the materials are too inefficient or perhaps the test isn't inclusive of all I need to know..

Just my thoughts as an instructor that refuses to teach the "fast-track" classes..

Later

make a good point, IMHO. In any case I also agree with scubaroyster's point that the student needs to be committed and engaged in the learning process.

Most scuba classes can be acomplished in three weeks if they are scheduled 2 days per week. Thats not a truly inordinate amount of time spent to learn the skills that will make the activity reasonably safe and very enjoyable.

The method of studying before class is actually better for most adults who don't want to sit through a scripted presentation that is geared toward the slowest student.
Agree entirely.
When instructors present all of the course material, sometimes things can get glossed over. Especially when the instructor knows what questions are on the test, and if the instructor is trying to cut corners. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this, but making a case why self-study is quite effective for many reasons)
Agree entirely.
That "fast track" also means a commitment from the students to engage in the course for a high amount of time in a fewer number of days.
Agree entirely.
If you wanted to become a black-belt in karate would you go to the karate school that told you that you could become a black-belt in 2 weeks or would you go the the school that made you earn the black-belt???
If there was a skiing equivalent of "c-cards" would you go to the ski school that "certified" you to go down the double black diamond moutain before you were skilled enough to do so???
Disagree completely. It's the old 'apples-and-oranges' chestnut. Black belts immediately? Not when I did judo, it wasn't. Double black mountain pistes? Is that what they teach first day at ski school? :hmmm:

If it were a question of teaching non-divers to dive Florida caves from scratch, MHK:s comment would be valid. Now it isn't. :whack:
The point being is that I could go on all day with analogies and it's often times striking to me that so many people are willing to "fast-track" training in a sport where you are putting your life in an environment that the only thing that will save it, is training..
The theoretical studies are still being learned, perhaps just as efficiently, by self-study. I agree that practical training in the water can't be skipped or corners cut in any way, shape or form.
Remember, you get what you pay for and to me the idea that everything that course has to teach you academically can be taught absent the need for the instructor should set off a light bulb in your head saying that either the materials are too inefficient or perhaps the test isn't inclusive of all I need to know..
Funny. It worked for me through school and university. In fact, it was even required ... :rolleyes: :hohum:

Of course, there will be plenty of opinions out there. Personally, I find scubaroyster's opinions well-motivated and agree with them.

Just my two euro's worth, of course. :relaxing:

Back
Top Bottom