Key Largo shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'll be down in florida in February for a class and my buddy and I are talking about going down two days early to get some practice dives in and make sure all our gear is squared away in the water. Is there anywhere near Key Largo where we can find depths 70'-100' that's diveable from shore? We aren't to worried about reef or pretty fishies, just somewhere to safely get in the water to do some drills, and work out any kinks.

I'm sorry to be laughing at you (good naturedly)...we get the "is there beach diving in the Keys" question almost weekly, but I've never seen a request for those depths!!!! My friend, you would be swimming for hours and hours and hours to attain that. :shocked2:

Obviously, the short answer is NO. :shakehead:

However, if you go into John Pennekamp State Park and swim from the beach, I think that the lagoon is about 15 or 20 feet deep in spots. It will be colder than hell and the viz will suck, but you can still check out your gear. You could call them tomorrow to ask the depth of the lagoon.

Jules Lodge is planted at 21', contact them for dive info. Locals use the place for confined water training dives, so I think it would suit your needs. :wink:

Hmmm thanks, maybe we'll just jump on a charter. I'm pretty familiar with the keys and laugh at the beach thing too, we need depth for ascent drills though.

Bravo to you for doing the drills and being safe. And for not taking offense to my post when no offense was meant. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom