taking a non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPete

Reaction score
A bunch of people have been asking me if I can take a non certified diver down with me on my octo to show them what its like. One person told me it would be a great way to lose my diver certification card.

A little Feedback Please

Because If I can I would Love to take my older brother down a little ways (No more than 10 feet) and show him the new world and try to get him into scuba!!!!

since you're in you're own rig, you can do what you want.

I would suggest getting in a pool where you can stand up if necessary, and 'showing' him SCUBA there. It makes no sense to take them down where you can't stand up, if you're not ready to make a rescue if need be.

I would go nowhere near open water.

I've heard of this being done, but it could kill your brother if he paniced and bolted to the surface holding his breath from as little at 10 feet.

What you should do is get him to a local dive shop and sign him up for a discover scuba. It may not be as much fun for you, but it would be a heck of alot safer for your brother.

Think of what can go wrong and the grief, guilt, and self loathing you would go through if it did go really wrong.

You will not lose your certification card for doing something like that .... there are no diving police out there anywhere that I'm aware of.

You may lose your brother, however ... if he takes a breath at 10 feet and decides to hold it while he surfaces (something that's instinctive). It's your risk to manage ... but I wouldn't recommend it.

.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

There are a LOT of divers who have no certification cards. One of them dives with me somewhat regularly - he's an older gent who never got one - never needed one - and yet he's a very competent diver and spearfisherman.

There are two issues:

1. Can you impart the necessary skills to do what you are intending to do without him doing something that could KILL him (e.g. holding his breath!)

AND

2. Are you willing to accept the risk (personal and potentially the liability - as in "lawsuit") if he DOES screw up and kill or seriously injure himself.

With that said, would I do it? Maybe - in my pool. In open water? No.

But do I support someone's individual right to get themselves some gear, strap on a tank, and go do it themself? Yes. Absolutely.

And does he have his life insurance up to date, and are you a beneficiary? :wink:

You don't say if your brother snorkels. That's a good first step - if what you want is to show him the cool stuff, find a shallow reef with lots of pretty fishies, take him snorkelling, then tell him how much more he'd see & experience if he was underwater properly. Getting comfortable snorkelling helps with the first dives anyway.

Though that suggestion only really works if you go somewhere warm and tropical - not sure snorkelling on a cold lake would get me interested in Scuba....

Have him take a resort "day " course some where or an introductory pool session to see if he has an interest.

If he is too cheap to pay for it, he is probably too cheap to pay for proper training etc.

We lawyers have a special name for people who do these sorts of things: "the defendant."

Pay the $10 for the "Discover Scuba" course.

have a certain view of the suitability of a particular profession in service as shark chum too, and its exactly this kind of attitude that drives that view.

made in this thread. The lawsuit thing is something you need to consider. Would your brother sue you if someting happened to him. Lets say he was just injured--who would cover the medical bills? You or him? Do you both agree who it should be? Can he truly understand what the risks are before hopping in the water with you?

Now lets say he is killed due some accident. Will his spouse or significant other sue you?

What happens if he panics for some reason and there is a "fight" for survival between the two of you underwater---will you both end up dead or can you handle the situation through your knowledge and training?

My suggestion is to go to the LDS and get him a gift certificate for a Try scuba or Discover scuba session(names vary betw3een agencies) Its only going to cost $10 to $25 or something like that and it releives you of all the above problems.

It is a free country and we have the courts to prove it:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom