Scubapro Jetfins vs. Hollis F1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
New to Scuba and researching gear for upcoming OW class. In addition to general OW rec diving, I am interested in UW Photography, and pursuing more advanced diving such as wreck, Nitrox. But will mostly be doing general OW rec dives to start.

I am trying to decide on gear that can grow with my skills and tech diving aspirations, but meet general rec diving needs.

I was thinking of SP Jetfins for my fin choice. Are these type of stiff paddle fins good for rec OW "vacation" diving as well? Has anyone compared them to Hollis F1 fins? The F1's seem to be a hybrid between the Jetfins and the newer hi-tech "rec" fins.

Any recommendations/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have used both fins quite a bit and I like both sets. Both fins will sink in fresh and salt water. The F1 fins are a bit heavier out of the water (I'm comparing the XL Jets vs the XL F1s). The foot pocket on the F1 is much more comfy on my feet than the Jet fins. The F1 fins are also not as stiff as the Jet fins. Although I personally prefer the stiffness of the Jets when I am pushing a heavy load (such as doubles, drysuit, deco tank, etc.).

As far as advice on which fin to get. I would recommend getting either model and trying them for 25-50 dives, if you didn't like them after that many dives then sell them and try the other. Both fins would meet your requirements.

I swim often in the pool (about 20+X/month) and have just about every make of fin there is.
When I go on a dive trip it is SP Jets hands down. Sometimes hard to get a proper fit, but when you're there I think they are hard to beat. Personally I'm a 7 1/2 men's foot and using SP molded sole boots. Tried XL OMS fins but they are too big in the toe area. Frog kick with them was the bomb, but the flutter they felt like a hinge. I have the Hollis F1's and they do fit, but are longer than the jets. Foot pocket on F1's does beat the SP's and they come with springs. If you get jets be sure and go with at least XL. Not enough blade area with M and Lg.
Bill

Personally I believe you are looking at the right style of fin overall (stiff paddle) and that within that genre the choice between Jets, Hollis, OMS Slipstream, Turtles, etc really comes down to which one fits your foot better. There are some slight differences between them in terms of stiffness, weight, etc but those differences are much less important than fit.

That said, I'd recommend trying the Jets first. If they fit, go with them. There's a reason that the others are referred to as "Jet-Fin type fins."

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom