Nekton Pilot refit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone have any info. on how the Nekton Pilot refit is going? On the Nekton website it looks like the expected time when it willl resume charters has moved back about 4 months.

I was on the last trip this year - All I know is - it needed it....

I am guessing it is not only a "refit" but also a restructing and money saving effort to keep the company going during these tough financial times. I know I have read that many liveaboards are having to run 1/2 full right now, or completely cancel trips due to low attendance. The Nekton company is lucky that they have 2 boats so they can actually take one boat out of service and cut their payroll and losses due to slow economy without having to stop running altogether. This is just my guess.....

I am guessing it is not only a "refit" but also a restructing and money saving effort to keep the company going during these tough financial times. I know I have read that many liveaboards are having to run 1/2 full right now, or completely cancel trips due to low attendance. The Nekton company is lucky that they have 2 boats so they can actually take one boat out of service and cut their payroll and losses due to slow economy without having to stop running altogether. This is just my guess.....

Good guess!:wink:

I worked on the Pilot a few years ago just after an 8 week refit. The boat had an engine breakdown on the way back to Belize. After that repair, it had several mechanical failures over the next couple of weeks. There was flooding of brand new carpet caused by systsems failures. Guests cabins had water dripping on the beds. Several air conditioners failed. At least one crew cabin had several toilet failures. These boats are old, complex and have few if any modern equipment. There are only a couple of people around that understand how these boats work.

While I don't doubt that they could just be taking a break, it is also possible that they are trying to really update it. We can only hope since they are one of the cheapest liveaboards and generally do a decent job for the price.

I recently booked a trip in June with Nekton...according to the website the Pilot was supposed to be back in action in time for my trip but the booking agent said she doubted it would be back in the water when they said it would, so we booked on the Rorqual instead.
When we went on the Pilot last August they were really short on staff--hopefully now that they only have one boat in service they won't have that problem.

me and my group will be on the Nekton Roqual July 10-17, Medio Reef we were on the Nekton when it went dead in the water last August.

Brown Mermaid-
Let's hope you have better luck on the Rorqual than you did the pilot!:D
I'm glad my trip is before yours this year instead of the week after like last year!

I worked on the Pilot a few years ago just after an 8 week refit. The boat had an engine breakdown on the way back to Belize. After that repair, it had several mechanical failures over the next couple of weeks. There was flooding of brand new carpet caused by systsems failures. Guests cabins had water dripping on the beds. Several air conditioners failed. At least one crew cabin had several toilet failures. These boats are old, complex and have few if any modern equipment. There are only a couple of people around that understand how these boats work.

While I don't doubt that they could just be taking a break, it is also possible that they are trying to really update it. We can only hope since they are one of the cheapest liveaboards and generally do a decent job for the price.

The Rorqual was brand new in 2001. I'm not sure how old the Pilot is though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom