tec fins? frog fins? fins for TEC, DIR or GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Can some one please explain me what are the fins used by most TEC, DIR , GUE divers?

What brand and models are available on the marked?

What are the most used and recommended? why ?

I deeply appreciate your explanations

thanks

Mario

The key is that, to do the precise positioning kicks like the helicopter and back kick, and to develop enough thrust to push heavy gear through the water, a relatively stiff paddle fin works well. If you're diving doubles, having fins which are negative is also useful. ScubaPro Jet fins work on both counts. For people with foot pocket fit issues, Turtles seem to fall between the XL and XXL Jets, though they are softer. Some folks are using the Hollis F1 fins and liking them. A lot of cave divers in Florida seem to use the Dive Rite paddle fins, which are plastic and not quite a stiff, and aren't negative.

So, there are a lot of options, but Jets and Turtles are common, at least in the US.

Hello,

Can some one please explain me what are the fins used by most TEC, DIR , GUE divers?

What brand and models are available on the marked?

What are the most used and recommended? why ?

I deeply appreciate your explanations

thanks

Mario

Scubapro jet fins by a wide margin...

And OMS Slipstreams, same shape as the Jets, but neutrally buoyant.

And OMS Slipstreams, same shape as the Jets, but neutrally buoyant.

Though not as stiff, either.

I traded-in an old pair of Dacor Jet Fins for SP Twin Jets (split fins) when they first came out (about 12 years ago?), and really liked the ease of kicking. I was doing mostly recreational diving in the ocean at that time.

When I started doing cavern and working on hovering and precise positioning, I realized how much of a hindrance the split Twin Jetsfins were when I tried the ScubaPro Jets (paddle fins). The SP Jets made all the precise manouvers (modified frog & shuffle, helicopter turns, back kick, etc.) much easier. I now have a pair of XL SP Jets for use with my wet suit boots and an XXL pair of OMS Slipstreams for my dry suit size 11 rockboots (the SP XXL Jets are way too big - they were meant for OTB boots).

Back
Top Bottom