commercial diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diddydidit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been thinking about commercial diving lately, but wondering if 35 years old is too old to start. I have about 16 years in construction and in pretty good shape.

If you can work topside and prove it, you will get your chance in the water. It is hard work and not very fun for your family.(travel and being away) Diving is just another way to get to work. Experience does help. Good luck!
See you topside! John

Most people are thinking about retiring in Commercial diving by 40

Google "commercial diving accidents and deaths".

I've been thinking about commercial diving lately, but wondering if 35 years old is too old to start. I have about 16 years in construction and in pretty good shape.

I'm 56 and have worked as a Diver, Diving Supervisor and Diving Superintendent since leaving the Navy as a Diving Officer in 1979. I currently work as an independent diving consultant to big oil, so I'm not in the water as much as I use to be (only one saturation inspection in the last year). The old guys are still around; many of them in management roles, but others still dive on a regular basis. Your medical and fitness are determining factors.

Your construction background is valuable. You of course need to complete the requisite training and get "the ticket." If you place well from a good school, you should be able to land a job. After some time and more training you can move to mixed-gas and saturation if that's your ambition. Good luck!

PS Don't believe the horror stories about the dangers of commercial diving. You can get hurt, but you have a complex support system behind you (communications, safety divers, chambers and medical personnel on-site). It's much safer than many construction sites. :)

I'm pushing 40, and in hindsight wish I had pursued the commercial diving.

It's an amazing career, and i would never trade it.
Age should not be a problem as long as you can pass the DCBC medical paperwork

Good luck and happy new year

It's an amazing career, and i would never trade it.
Age should not be a problem as long as you can pass the DCBC medical paperwork

Yes, but if you work internationally, the "insurance companies" get into the equation, which sometimes involves more thorough hyperbaric medicals and fitness testing. As long as your health holds out, you're good to go.

In saturation diving, you have to function in an isolated environment. Some of the testing is similar to what Astronauts are subjected to for deep space missions. Saturation usually involves 28 days under the camera with a small team in a restrictive space. Physically you may be fine, but there are psychiatric/social factors that you need to meet.

All my life I've wanted to be a commercial diver, and I come from a strong construction back round. My poppy, my dad, and myself were all journeyman iron workers. I got out in the early seventies, when for me the trade dried up.

One day I was in my local shop, when a couple of commercial boys, who were working on the Newport bridge came in. Naturally I stood there, hanging on their every word, with drool coming out of the side of my mouth.

When their conversation was over, I asked them if they would like to go diving with me that week end.

I will never forget their response,

DIVING????!!!!!!!, WE DIVE FIVE DAYS A WEEK!!!!!!!!!

It was right there and then that I realized why ( for me ) I didn't become a commercial diver.

Also, sadly enough, we learned some time latter, that a diver on the bridge got a bubble at the base of his spine.

We never found out how he made out, and I can only pray he came out of that ordeal okay.

All my life I've wanted to be a commercial diver,

Commercial diving has come along way over the years (like recreational diving). There are smaller local companies that service local needs; which tend to bend the rules from time-to-time. And large commercial businesses that compete for offshore oil jobs. Most of my experience has been with the latter.

Divers usually start with the smaller ones and work their way up, but there are exceptions. There are advantages of both. Local divers usually return home each evening, while guys working offshore have a 2, 3, or 4 week rotation. Offshore safety standards are unsurpassed and the best of equipment and support personnel are used.

Sorry to hear about the guy you heard about with DCS, but it's just not the common thing that it use to be in the olden days... :) I've been bent once (as a Navy Research Diver). Although I've had some close calls, I still like to dive (recreationally as well). :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom