Responsibility to insta-buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PineNut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am usually a fairly good buddy for my instant buddies. However, I was matched with an older overweight man, with a camera. I asked how many dives he has had. He said hundreds. And he has been diving since before certification was required. I said "great". I spelled out my style of diving, and that I am going to be swimming close to the dive master. I was upfront on if he is not keeping up and chose to take pictures; I will simply be buddying up to the divemaster. I was not going to be a spare-air tank for a photographer.

The first dive went OK. But the second dive did not. Of course, I feel funny about asking my buddy with hundreds of dive what his gauge is reading. Fortunately, the DM checked, and my buddy was low on air. We had to do a mandatory safety stop, and my buddy ran out of air. He had to share the octo with the DM. Based on what I learned later, he had lied about how recently he dove so they will let him on the boat. It took him forever to get his gears on, and get into the water, and his buoyancy control was very much like a beginner. He had problem on the surface, and also below. He broke his camera before the second dive as he struggled to get his gears together - it dropped and flooded during the dive. My guess is that he probably has had less than 30 dives, and probably lied about that to be allowed to dive.

I guess I felt a little guilty about ignoring my buddy. But I felt that I should be more concern for my safety than his. By being near the DM, I would have a much better buddy in case of emergency, and we will not be lost if there was excessive current or poor visibility. I guess, I assumed that he claimed he was more experienced than myself; I should let him do as he pleases. We all had to surface earlier than needed because of my buddy's running out of air. I had over 1000 psi when we surfaced. Honestly, I cannot say if I would have dove any differently in the future. Unless my buddy said he was a novice. But then, if something bad happened to my buddy, I guess I would still feel very guilty.

My question is, how much responsibility should one have for their instabuddy, especially if he or she is a photographer?

I think that's primarily the problem with insta-buddies. You are required to be there for them whether or not they're a good diver, arrogant diver, new diver, or the dreaded photographer. Do I think you were in the wrong for leaving him? Yes, I do. As I previously mentioned you take that risk when you insta buddy with someone and when you noticed that he was having trouble I think the last thing you should of done was leave him alone, but then again that's just my opinion and Im sure the opinions of others will differ.

It will be fun to see what this one produces.

If you agreed to be his buddy, you agreed to be his buddy and with that comes the responsibility of being his buddy.

With that comes the freedoms of being his buddy. Like checking his air, either by directly asking in a non-judgemental question, or looking at their SPG when they aren't paying attention.

I'm nearly finished with my DM. One thing my instructor has emphasized is to watch and observe the students/divers. When working with a certified diver student, doing a specialty course for instance, if they quickly and correctly set up their gear, they are going to tend to be solid students. If they fumble around a lot, if they stall, or if they talk a big game or boast, you need to keep an eye on them. Sure enough I can't think of a student yet where that hasn't been true. Call it diving profiling.

The also teach you this in rescue class.

Knowing what I know now, I would kindly refuse to be paired with a photographer. Typically they have a different motive for diving than a non-photographer. I'd call that a bad pairing at the boat level.

I've been told one of the benefits of getting your DM cert is no more insta buddies. You're a professional and you ought to know how to dive. Aside from getting more diver education and more experience, that can be a good motivator to get your DM!

I have had situations like yours. I even this year in Panama City went down on the wrecks and stayed close to other people who were buddied up. (No real buddy) If I wanted to go in the opposite direction I just followed someone else going in that direction. Two years ago I was getting back into diving and must of had the same buddy you had. I had a reg. problem gave him the out of air sign and he took my picture! I had to do a emergiency accent. In my experience I dont think most instant buddies can really help you. Just the good folks here at the board.:wink:

It will be fun to see what this one produces.

If you agreed to be his buddy, you agreed to be his buddy and with that comes the responsibility of being his buddy.

With that comes the freedoms of being his buddy. Like checking his air, either by directly asking in a non-judgemental question, or looking at their SPG when they aren't paying attention.

I'm nearly finished with my DM. One thing my instructor has emphasized is to watch and observe the students/divers. When working with a certified diver student, doing a specialty course for instance, if they quickly and correctly set up their gear, they are going to tend to be solid students. If they fumble around a lot, if they stall, or if they talk a big game or boast, you need to keep an eye on them. Sure enough I can't think of a student yet where that hasn't been true. Call it diving profiling.

The also teach you this in rescue class.

Knowing what I know now, I would kindly refuse to be paired with a photographer. Typically they have a different motive for diving than a non-photographer. I'd call that a bad pairing at the boat level.

I've been told one of the benefits of getting your DM cert is no more insta buddies. You're a professional and you ought to know how to dive. Aside from getting more diver education and more experience, that can be a good motivator to get your DM!

You are right. We had both an instructor and a DM on the trip, so it was 2 professional leading 6. The two pro's talked to each other before the dive to keep an eye on him, and they already assumed that he will run out of air before everyone else, even before the first dive. I'll have to pay attention to my buddies' behavior before the dive. I assumed that hundreds of dives means you can take care of yourself. Which is usually the case - most of the time. My brother-in-law, an avid photographer, is rarely if ever closer than 20 ft from his buddy. And believe me, he has no idea where you are, or if you are in trouble.

But the dilemma is, when there is only you and another solo diver - you don't have a choice on whom to pick.

My question is, how much responsibility should one have for their instabuddy, especially if he or she is a photographer?

Sounds like you had a pretty sh--ty buddy.

Sounds like your buddy did too.

:shakehead:

You are right. We had both an instructor and a DM on the trip, so it was 2 professional leading 6. The two pro's talked to each other before the dive to keep an eye on him, and they already assumed that he will run out of air before everyone else, even before the first dive. I'll have to pay attention to my buddies' behavior before the dive. I assumed that hundreds of dives means you can take care of yourself. Which is usually the case - most of the time. My brother-in-law, an avid photographer, is rarely if ever closer than 20 ft from his buddy. And believe me, he has no idea where you are, or if you are in trouble.

But the dilemma is, when there is only you and another solo diver - you don't have a choice on whom to pick.

When my instructor first told me about that I thought he was kidding. After a bit you can quickly pick out who is going to be trouble.

I heard a funny story the other day. I've just started as a volunteer diver at our local aquarium. They offer dives in the fish tanks to paying divers. One of my fellow volunteer divers was telling me about how a few years ago they had a paying clients who's dive log reflected over 200 dives. The paying diver assembled their gear joined to other volunteer divers and entered the fish tank...and proceed to sink right to the bottom like an anchor. After an near drowning and rescue it turned out she hadn't completely turned on her air and she didn't hook up her LP hose. She had always and only been diving where someone else set up her gear. She hadn't had to set up her gear since her checkout dives. So much for 'experienced', right? Okay, maybe this story was so funny.

Another solution to the insta buddy is to develop and cultivate you buddy pool!

It does suck when you get stuck with someone.

solo diving or as i call it the independent buddy program is a great course to take because if you draw a lame duck you are your own best buddy our own spare air.

as for your buddy only commit to what you can or will do your safety comes frist

Sounds like you had a pretty sh--ty buddy.

Sounds like your buddy did too.

:shakehead:

Agreed. Sounds like you had something against photogs in the first place and should have tried to switch buddies if possible.

Your attitude about having 1000 PSI left when you surfaced is pretty poor too. When you buddy with someone you have agreed to return to the surface when either one of you needs too.

I'm also curious why you all had to surface? Was this a follow the DM guided dive. If so there will always be someone who sucks down their gas. One of many reasons I avoid what I call "gaggle" diving. Another is the behavior you demonstrated of not taking the buddy pair serious - because it is a "group" dive.

Yes, you are right - I do have something against photographers. I guess I kind of told him, stay close, or you are on your own. In mexico, you are required by law to have guided dives, with a DM. So there is no options out. When you have 2 couples (husbands and wives), and 2 solo divers - it is kind of hard to opt out of your buddy pairs.

I guess my point is, most buddy pairs seems to work out well, except those with photographers. These folks are very self centered, and do not make good buddies. But why should a non-photographer be a dedicated baby sitter for them?

If I had my options, I would prefer to be a solo diver in these "groups".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom