Peter Hughes Wind Dancer Cocos July 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coombsm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello

I am considering a trip on the Peter Hughes Boat Wind Dancer to Cocos Island, Costa Rica in July 2010.

I am wondering if anyone has done this trip and if it would be suitable for a diver with 45 dives and AOW certification?

I have done dives in Mexico, Cuba, Thailand, Bali and the Maldives.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Wow, for someone who has only done 45 dives you sure get around!:D Come to Virginia--we'll be ice diving soon!:)
Seriously--I have no advice since I've never been there, but for as many places as you've been I can't imagine Costa Rica diving to be too different than at least one of the places you've been....

ps edited to add--I see you're from Calgary--I guess you don't need any invitations to do any ice diving here, so you?

Ha, Ha.. No I don't need to go far to ice dive, its -21 degrees here right now so I think I will just head for the river a few blocks away.. Thanks for the invite though, cheers..

Hi coombsm
I would say that you would be fine at 45 dives and AOW. The diving is gonna be colder than you are used to, it aint the caribbean Toto, and the dives will all be off small inflatables sometimes in strong currents and choppy seas. However, July is the perfect time to go for the sharks, you will not be disappointed.
Also, the ship is doing some preliminary runs out there with guests over the next few weeks. Having been on her for the last 10 days, and for the next 3 trips too, I can tell you that she is in fine form. the new owners have spent alot of money on modifications to the dive deck and sun deck areas and have alot more to spend on things like revamping the camera tables and some behind-the-scenes stuff you wont see.
Anyway, enjoy... and I wish you good vis.
Simon

coombsm - the only advice I would give you is to check out the other boats in the area. The Wind Dancer may be a nice boat, but I would check to see what type of experience their DMs have at Cocos. The other two companies offering trips to Cocos have very experienced dive guides which I believe, in my own personal opinion, is key to a great trip to Cocos. The first time I went to Cocos, my number ONE priority was my own safety.

The other two companies offering trips to Cocos have very experienced dive guides which I believe, in my own personal opinion, is key to a great trip to Cocos. The first time I went to Cocos, my number ONE priority was my own safety.

DITTO!!!!

I was on the Wind Dancer in another location. It's an OK boat, but I wouldn't do it for Cocos. Of course this was prior to any changes mentioned above.

the only boats I would go to Cocos on are the Undersea Hunter Group boats (Sea Hunter, Undersea Hunter, and Argo). If for no other reason, you dive from stable iron pangas on these boats. Inflatable zodiacs will get eaten alive at Cocos. I've seen it. When you are on the ride out to the Alcyone site, you will want to be in a stable boat. I can not emphasize this enough. You don't just take a giant stride off the back of the boat to dive Cocos. You have to ride out through open ocean in rough conditions to get to these sites. some of the boat rides are up to 30 minutes out, and 30 minutes back. I'll also add that there has been an incident on every trip I've had out there. Specifically the divers ran out of air completely, or went too deep (150+ feet on nitrox). Now in each instance, you could see it coming (these divers were careless), but I must say that the crew on the Undersea Hunter and Argo handled the situation in professional and safe manner. Other boats have lost divers. I guess the point of my rant is that Cocos is not your average dive spot. It's remote. It can be very challenging. You don't just casually descend down a line and there are the hammerheads. Sharks like current. To see these sharks you need to be prepared to deal with deep dives (100 ft or more) and strong current. All this being said , Cocos is amazing and will always be my favorite spot. I just hope it doesn't get over-fished or over-dived...

The Wind Dancer has no inflatables when I went on it in Tobago it had two unsinkeable fiberglass tenders Each with twin engine set (75 or 100 HP each)
Those tenders can cruise at lightning speed and can stand very rough seas. I remember us sitting down with gear and tank in the middle wearing masks and snorkels so much water was coming in while the DMs were whizzing around in waterproof jackets and hats.
Do not know about the specific experience of cocos but those tenders are much better than pangas
The boat itself is a converted shrimp fishing boat with very high bow and steel hull. I would also think this boat would not have any issues in the roughest conditions.

just checked out the wind dancer online, and that tenders are in fact similar to those on the undersea hunter boats....

Hi Matt,

Firstly you are correct, the tenders will be the same as the Aggressor ones.

Second, Matt... I dont think you are doing the Undersea Hunter group any favors by relating stories of divers out of air, going too deep or staying too long. Yes the dives are deep and can be challenging with the currents but proper briefing and divemasters actions underwater count for alot in terms of safety, no? FYI we have had no incidents on the last two trips I have been on, a record I hope will continue for the next two trips.

Finally, boat rides of 30 minutes are very much the exception rather than the rule and this depends on surface conditions. Alcyone is 7 minutes from Chatham Bay in fair conditions. In choppy conditions I agree I would rather be on a fibreglass tender than an inflatable but they get you there and they get you back, gearing up is the only time I really noticed the difference.

Eau Girl... interested why you dont think Wind Dancer would be your choice? She has the perfect hull design and the only downside I can think of the lack of windows in the cabins.

Anyway, I am on the Wind Dancer for another two trips and intend to have an awesome, and safe, time!

Simon

Back
Top Bottom