Simone Cousteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrJo

New
Reaction score
Hello

I am doing research on Jacques Cousteau's first wife Simone. I am turning over every stone in finding info, photos and people who knew her. Can anyone out there help me??

?????????? Isn't this the Internet ??????????

... you might find the following biography interesting:
http://www.lesintouchables.com/cousteau-simone.html

There have been some great Cousteau documentaries on television, and many have of late been biopsies exploring the darker sides of the great man's life, his frailties, weaknesses and so forth. Simone's feelings on discovering her husband had been leading a double life for many years is well documented and represented in these documentaries.

That said, I don't really think you'll find too many people who actually were there at the time and know anything about the events stepping forward on the Internet to share their stories. Best of luck anyway.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
?????????? Isn't this the Internet ??????????

I meant the internet in terms of suggesting that he/she/it do his/her/their own research before soliciting board gossip. Tons of published reports and pleadings are waiting for the diligent researcher.

Whoever DrJ is, he/she must know how to rake muck without asking us for gossip. Since we don't know what he/she/its angle is, why should we be doing he/she/its work.?

Thank you both for responding. I knew if I put out the word as much as possible, I would find some hints.

Thank you Finn-I have the book by Simone's granddaughter. I don't speak French but will translate it. There is so little info on her anywhere. I am not aware of the documentaries, are they on Public Broadcasting? TV in the US?

Partner-dogpile is the best search engine-it pulls from every active search engine on the internet. Try it sometime, I love it.

I worked briefly for JY Cousteau on a documentary and have worked much more with JM Cousteau. However I never met Simone. My understanding is that Simone was a private person who enjoyed being the mother figure for the crew on the Calypso. Since I was aboard the Alcyone when I worked on the documentary, she was not on board.

JYC was, of course, a Frenchman. French culture seems more open and tolerant of "mistresses" than American. Of course I do not know how she reacted personally to the fact. We are all human.

It is my feeling (strictly personal) that his second wife has ruined The Cousteau Society by diluting the science that was there. I would give my support to the Philippe Cousteau Foundation (run by his widow and children) or to JMC rather than TCS.

Dr. Bill

French culture seems more open and tolerant of "mistresses" than American.
I don't think it's any more common in France than anywhere else, but the French are certainly less hypocritical about it than many others ...
Of course I do not know how she reacted personally to the fact.
This was hinted at in one of the documentaries. As is to be expected, she was allegedly pretty disappointed. But I guess this is something Dr Jo will have to work on. It's all history now, and yes, we're all human.
It is my feeling (strictly personal) that his second wife has ruined The Cousteau Society by diluting the science that was there. I would give my support to the Philippe Cousteau Foundation (run by his widow and children) or to JMC rather than TCS.
I don't know anything about this and have no views on the matter whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom