Ikelite W-20 Wide angle lens water spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_joe

Reaction score
We have an Ikelite W-20 wide angle lens here at the shop and we basically have a problem where there is black water spots showing up in the video and we cant figure out exactly where the spots are since there are multiple lenses and some get flooded etc.

Anyone have this happen, and what can we do to insure we clean the lens propperly so there are no spots. Is there a special lens cleaner etc we need to flood the lens with etc?

The spots are air bubbles. Usually they are either trapped or cling to the front or rear elements of the lens. The exhaust bubbles from fellow divers serve as a continuing source of new bubbles on the lens.

N

Nemrod is right on the air bubbles. The W-20 lens is a completely sealed and independently waterproof unit. If you truly are getting water INSIDE of the lens, then you need to return it to us for evaluation and repair.

The lens should be cleaned with freshwater after each use and dried with a soft cloth. Always store it dry and out of direct sunlight to avoid water spotting.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

When we put the lens underwater it basically floods and fills up, we thought that is the correct way it worked. Then when you get out of the water the lens drains you can cleary see this happening each time on the video. So this is not normal?

I just got a W20 just posting to learn more about the lens and using it........

Thanks......M

I use the W20 all the time. When you get underwater remove it, burp it, put it back on. Bubbles gone. I have never had divers exhaust cause bubbles inside but I guess it could happen. If it does repeat above.

When we put the lens underwater it basically floods and fills up, we thought that is the correct way it worked. Then when you get out of the water the lens drains you can cleary see this happening each time on the video. So this is not normal?

Do you mean you are getting water between the front glass elliment of your housing and the back elliment of the lens? If so, that is normal.

If you are getting water between the front and back elliments of the lens, that is the lens flooding and it needs to go back.

What I do is get down to the bottom, take the lenes off my housing and get all bubbles off the from glass of the housing and the back glass of the lens, then put it all together and do my dive.

Any tips on what to do with the lens underwater?

I have a S90 with Ike housing and want to shoot both WA and macro during the same dive..........

So for macro, I would remove the WA lens.........I guess I could put a Velcro pocket on my BP/W to put the W20 in when it is not installed.......

Maybe some type of lanyard.......so it would hang below the rig.......but it would have to allow for the W20 to thread on........

I have seen some rigs where there is an attachment point for extra lenses clamped to the strobe arms......is that the way to go?

M

Last edited:
I used some zip ties to attach a line to my wide angle lens, the line then goes to the housing tray. When I take the lens off, I hang the lens on its line over my left wrist or forearm where it hangs nicely.

CameraLens2.jpg

i have a canon g-9 in an ike housing.
will the W-20 work with this point and shoot camera?
i have an inin macro lens, it has 67 mm threads on both sides .
can i use this lens stacked with the macro lens to get a larger area in close-up?
i don't want to spend $300+$ and not have it work

Back
Top Bottom