Teen paralyzed diving in the Keys - anyone have more info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops

Blacklight Poster
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have more info about this like where the dive was, how long he was down, etc.???

Calvin College student partially paralyzed in scuba diving accident | Grand Rapids News - - MLive.com

Calvin College student partially paralyzed in scuba diving accident

By The Grand Rapids Press
December 31, 2009, 3:13PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- A Calvin College student is partially paralyzed after a scuba diving accident in the Florida Keys, college staff said.

Matthew DeVlieger, a junior, was injured Monday while vacationing with his family.

The NorthPointe High School graduate was on a 135-foot dive when an oxygen problem with his tank caused him to surface too quickly, school officials said after hearing from DeVlieger's family.

At the water's surface, it became clear the young man was suffering serious symptoms of decompression sickness.

Also called "the bends" the condition occurs when nitrogen bubbles form in the body's bloodstream and tissues. The bubbles form when a diver moves from deep water toward the surface -- where the surrounding pressure is lower -- in too short a space of time, according to online medical information.

DeVlieger was rushed to a Florida hospital, where he remained paralyzed from the chest down, Calvin staff said.

College leaders planned to alert faculty, staff and students of the incident.

DeVlieger has been a strong tennis player for the college. His twin brother also attends Calvin.

There was also this article:

Calvin athlete partially paralyzed | WOOD TV8

Calvin athlete partially paralyzed
DeVlieger injured Monday in scuba diving accident

Updated: Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 5:01 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 4:43 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - After a scuba diving accident in the Florida Keys, a Calvin College tennis player is partially paralyzed, college staff confirmed Thursday.

Matthew DeVlieger, a NorthPointe Christian High graduate and junior at Calvin, was injured Monday while on vacation with his family. He was on a 135-foot dive when he surfaced too soon due to an oxygen problem with his tank.

When he came up, he was suffering symptoms of decompression sickness. DeVlieger was taken to a Florida hospital, but remained paralyzed from the chest down.

Decompression sickness occurs when nitrogen bubbles form in the body's bloodstream and tissues.

DeVlieger's twin brother also attends Calvin College.

That is tragic and I pray he recovers.

Typical newspaper statement:
oxygen problem with his tank
:shakehead:

Are there any newspaper journalists/editors who dive or research the stories? They do love their oxygen tanks

Hopefully he responds to chamber treatment, I wish him good luck.

Are there any newspaper journalists/editors who dive or research the stories? They do love their oxygen tanks
Pretty much all of the diving newspaper reporters around here quit years ago. (The shop I used to work for certified most of them.)

Shouldn't this be in Accidents and Incidents?

Shouldn't this be in Accidents and Incidents?

I purposely posted this in the Florida section in hopes some of the locals might have real information on the accident other than he "had an oxygen problem".
But thanks for your concern. If and when some real information gets posted, I'll request it get moved to the accidents section.

Ah, thanks!

I like the way you think! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom