AGA mask reg can suffer mold corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
After five months in storage from a freshwater dive I opened up my AGA reg for a self-service for my shallow winter diving and noticed severe staining on the barrel. Being a good fungi researcher I pulled out my razor, scraped off the material and examined under a microscope. The culprit was Penicillium Chrysogenum. Amazingly it grew within the components on the residual moisture. AND it corroded the barrel. Good reminder for servicing or at least opening the reg after prolonged storage for a scrubbing. This mold has been known to corrode steel and is a good reminder for any reg.

Attachments

• aga1.jpg
    aga1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 80
That's pretty remarkable. I'll have to consider it as I work on regs and in teaching the class. Did you find it anywhere else in the mask or regulator?

That's pretty remarkable. I'll have to consider it as I work on regs and in teaching the class. Did you find it anywhere else in the mask or regulator?

There was some discoloration on the plastic bits but no corrosion.
I think the AGA barrel looks milled and has small grooves that may have allowed some residual organics for food. Still functions great in this COLD weather right now.
BTW how do the older mask regs compare to the Guardian regs? Are they identical?

They're different, although you can see the influences. In some ways a little simpler. Maintenance is a lot less expensive. Have you had a chance to play with one yet?

They're different, although you can see the influences. In some ways a little simpler. Maintenance is a lot less expensive. Have you had a chance to play with one yet?

I have not. They look intriguing and have certainly addressed some concerns. Tell me why they changed the internal regulator configuration?
Did they feel the Divator was somehow inefficient?
In future versions they make room to attach a secondary like the apeks panorama?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom