Winter diving recommendations anyone???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its freezing cold here in DC and I was planning an extended weekend escape to Florida to do dives. Where in Florida would I find the best visibility in this time of the year? I went diving end of jan in the keys and it was horrible! Key largo had choppy waters and bad visibility. Did not seem like I was diving in the same pristine waters that I did many twice before.

What would be my best shot? Vandenberg? Jupiter? Fort Lauderdale wrecks? Any recommendaions for end of january would be very very helpful.

Thanks in advance -

Sea Hound

Visibility will vary depending on the current weather conditions. I did two dives in Jupiter FL yesterday and the first dive had about 80' vis and the second had about 30'. The winds and currents were changing causing the drop in vis.
You would have to get a current report closer to the time of your visit to have any chance of getting really good vis! (anyplace can have good vis but it doesnt take much to change that)

I would base camp in the West Palm Beach/Boynton area and bob and weave from there...

If you want good winter viz guaranteed, you'll have to dive the springs. The ocean is so unpredictable. You might get 150' plus and you might be diving in a milkshake. Pray to the weather gods and hope for the best!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom