Need help buying my first fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ravisurdhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! I'm new to the forums...looks like a great community of divers! Anyway, I just came back from a 4 day liveaboard in the Similans (kind of disappointing...other than a leopard shark 20m below us in the depths and a *huge* moray, we didn't really see anything too interesting in 4 days... :( ) and my heels hurt like crazy from the crappy rental fins they gave me! I decided it's finally time to look into buying some of my own diving gear, and I figured fins would be a good start. But there are so many choices! Apollo, Aries, Mares, Aqua Lung, Oceanic, Scuba Pro...agh! Can I get a little help here?! I know I definitely want an open heel fin...other than that, I don't know. I know there's the whole "split vs paddle" debate, and I don't know where I stand on that.

A few things about my diving style that may help narrow down the choices:
  • I'm a tropical boat diver. No cold water for me!
  • Weight is definitely a factor, as I live in Colorado and need to fly a few thousand miles if I want to dive anywhere!
  • I almost exclusively use a flutter kick.
  • Power is my main concern. I have strong legs; I can handle high torque.
  • I like being pretty maneuverable when I dive: upside down, etc.

Maybe that helps a bit? Thanks for any/all input!

ravisurdhar:
I'm a tropical boat diver. No cold water for me!

Cold or warm, water is water.

ravisurdhar:
Weight is definitely a factor, as I live in Colorado and need to fly a few thousand miles if I want to dive anywhere!

Even heavy fins are light.

ravisurdhar:
I almost exclusively use a flutter kick.

You can learn other kicks, the flutter is very useful in current.

ravisurdhar:
Power is my main concern. I have strong legs; I can handle high torque.

Then Lightning Jet Fins may be ideal for you, they deliver the most power of any fin I've tried.

ravisurdhar:
I like being pretty maneuverable when I dive: upside down, etc.

Lightning Jet Fins give excellent fine control as well as power, but you'll need kicks other than flutter to achieve the control, regardless of your fin choice.

I'm kinda suprized you never had to buy fins...

In any case I would recommend the LDS a to try a couple of pairs in the pool. Fins will be around a while. I have a copule of regs, couple of snorkles, two masks, and one pair of fins.

When you buy them pay extra for spring straps or buy immediately spare straps and keep them in your save-a-dive kit (small o-ring sealed box), put some o-rings, a couple of zip ties, and a mouthpiece in there too.

I had a look on the net and this places seems ok:
Boulder SCUBA Shop | Boulder Dive Shop | Ocean First Divers
A-1 Scuba, Denver and Colorado's Ultimate Scuba Shop! Englewood, Colorado 80110

Its my 2c that its hard to make an awful fin purchase. I am also in the "no split fin, force fin" camp and will allways take a classic "blade fin" design. If you want to work harder and have the possibility to apply more force get a stiffer blade, for less effort get a softer blade.

Weight is definitely a factor

Personally I like SP Jet Fins, so I own two pairs of Jets; size L for travel that I use with 3mm rubber-soled neoprene socks, and size XL for closer to home, that I use with 5mm thick-soled booties. The Ls are comparatively smaller and lighter which helps with packing and weight restrictions on flights

I'm kinda suprized you never had to buy fins...

In any case I would recommend the LDS a to try a couple of pairs in the pool. Fins will be around a while. I have a copule of regs, couple of snorkles, two masks, and one pair of fins.

When you buy them pay extra for spring straps or buy immediately spare straps and keep them in your save-a-dive kit (small o-ring sealed box), put some o-rings, a couple of zip ties, and a mouthpiece in there too.

I had a look on the net and this places seems ok:
Boulder SCUBA Shop | Boulder Dive Shop | Ocean First Divers
A-1 Scuba, Denver and Colorado's Ultimate Scuba Shop! Englewood, Colorado 80110

Its my 2c that its hard to make an awful fin purchase. I am also in the "no split fin, force fin" camp and will allways take a classic "blade fin" design. If you want to work harder and have the possibility to apply more force get a stiffer blade, for less effort get a softer blade.

Thanks. I know Ocean First well...it's were I first got my Open Water back in 04, when it was still called Scuba Joe's (5 years and 44 dives...that tells you how often I get to go diving!). Do most local dive shops (I assume that's what LDS stands for?) allow you to try out gear before you buy it? That's pretty awesome...I wish rock climbing gear was like that! :D

Speaking of booties...will any booties work? I have a pair of thick-soled booties I use for whitewater kayaking (similar to these: www[DOT]nrsweb[DOT]com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2302)...would these work fine for open-heel fins?

How heavy is "heavy"? I hear the Bio-fins are pretty hefty, but what exactly does that mean?

Thanks. I know Ocean First well...it's were I first got my Open Water back in 04, when it was still called Scuba Joe's (5 years and 44 dives...that tells you how often I get to go diving!). Do most local dive shops (I assume that's what LDS stands for?) allow you to try out gear before you buy it? That's pretty awesome...I wish rock climbing gear was like that! :D

Speaking of booties...will any booties work? I have a pair of thick-soled booties I use for whitewater kayaking (similar to these: www[DOT]nrsweb[DOT]com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2302)...would these work fine for open-heel fins?

How heavy is "heavy"? I hear the Bio-fins are pretty hefty, but what exactly does that mean?

For years I used a pair of old 3mm white water booties. They will work just fine.

Someone mentioned the SP Jet Fins. These are pretty heavy. A lot of dry suit divers like these because of their weight. They are a traditional paddle fin.

A paddle fin that is much lighter are the OMS Slipstreams. They use a different rubber and they are lighter than the SP Jet Fins and the XS Turtle Fins.

With whatever fin you choose, check out replacing the fin straps with spring straps!

When you buy them pay extra for spring straps or buy immediately spare straps and keep them in your save-a-dive kit (small o-ring sealed box)

Yes it's important to keep your spare fin straps dry :wink:

Look at OMS slipstream fins, with XS scuba springstraps. They are a very strong fin, the Navy uses them and cut down time on there excerises. IVS scuba has a good deal on them, but they have a good deal on everything."

At your frequency of diving it would be hard to go wrong with the currently closeout Mares X3's and as long as you don't store them in your car trunk or carport shelf there is little reason to worry about changing or spare straps. You can get them for ~$45 on Maui at Sports Authority so it is likely similar in your neck of the woods.

Mares Avanti X3 Open Heel Fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom