Military DPVs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Lore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone managed to get hold of some surplus military DPVs?

In the UK the tech for powerful and long-lasting DPV tech is almost always in the hands of the Navy and sold off when it gets to it's sell-by date.

Some more about military DPVs from Squid:

Strong currents and the need for urgency on operations are always a factor for combat diving ops. Though military divers have a high degree of fitness when a current exceeds 2 knots and the objective is at a long distance tiredness soon creeps in. The military DPV allows for effortless travel to and from an objective requiring covert entry. Performance is unrestrictive with speeds in excess of ten knots possible, these are the fastest known DPVs. Many different types and sizes are used that can transport up to four divers at once with equipment.
The type pictured shares some similarities with the recreational DPV, both are neutrally buoyant and are usually man-portable. The similarities stop when it comes to speed and battery life though. The only drawback is the gear is heavier than civilian dpvs...

Source: Military DPVs.

I built a few DPV,s in the 90,s and thru trial and error came up with a beefy industrial grade unit. I started making one again with more improvements . Still have the old one and took it out after not been used for 10 years. Put a new battery and burned some amp. hours diving. If interested give me a post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom