Marsa Shagra eco village

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ifoundnemo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just booked a week trip to Marsa Shagra eco village, 40km from Marsa Alam, leaving UK on 13th May - woo hoo!!

Just wondering if anyone has any trip reports of the area, and what sort of marine life me and my buddy can expect, etc.

We have been to Egypt on two previous trips - one shore based in Sharm, followed by Northern itinery on liveaboard, and our second trip was a liveaboard, again in the North.

We decided that it was time we tried further south :D and would be grateful for any suggestions of "not to be missed" dive sites, and /or other activities.

Many thanks

Elaine

Many thanks for the info.

Not really interested in diving the Dolphin house - find these type of sites are unneccesarily stressful for the dolphins - too many people in the water trying to get as close as possible.

I much prefer it when you get chance encounters. We were lucky enough to swim with hammerheads on our last trip

I'll post a trip report once we are back :D

Once again, many thanks for the advice

Elaine

Many thanks for the info.

Not really interested in diving the Dolphin house - find these type of sites are unneccesarily stressful for the dolphins - too many people in the water trying to get as close as possible.

I much prefer it when you get chance encounters. We were lucky enough to swim with hammerheads on our last trip

I'll post a trip report once we are back :D

Once again, many thanks for the advice

Elaine

Just FYI regulations at Dolphin House for visitors are very strict to not put any stress on the dolphins. It is very much chance encounter – but chances are off course better there. Then, it may or may not be your cup of tea anyway ...
As Asser mentioned, Elphinstone and Marsa Abu Dabab are not to be missed (beside dugong(s) there are also fairly good chances of seeing guitar sharks and huge turtles on the sea grass in the bay.

good luck

You will have a fantastig time and just as my friends Asser and Christian has said before, you should not miss Elphinstone and Abu Dabab. Here is a link to my website where red sea marine life you can find info on the Dugong, Green Turtle and Shovelnose Ray (some call them guitarr shark) also click on "Yearly Cycle" or http://www.aziab.com/RED SEA YEAR - TIME TABLE.htm for more info on what's happening whgere and when in the Red Sea.

.......a.......

Last edited:
Hi Elaine,

I've stayed at Red Sea Diving Safari's Nakari location (further south than Shagra) - pretty similar set-up.

The main thing I would prepare for is peace and quiet. Both Nakari and Shagra are very quiet, somewhat remote places - which is fantastic. If you are prepared for a very mellow Robinson Crusoe in the Egyptian desert kind of vibe with time spent watching the sun set over the beautiful mountains, relaxing after great days of diving sipping drinks and talking to folks about the diving and what you saw that day - you will have a great time. Kind of the anti-Sharm :)

I've been to dolphin house 3-4 times since my kids wanted to snorkel with the dolphins (they were surrounded by a large pod multiple times including mother/baby pairs) - the diving out there is actually pretty good = very cool hard coral garden formations in relatively shallow water on the southeast side of the reef; also enjoyed diving the "bommies" on the southwest side. Great macro life everywhere on that reef. The cave swim through is a waste of time since it is beat up without much to see (except for the great anemone garden outside the entrance LOADED with more juvenile anemone fish than I've ever seen in one place)...although when we were swimming through it I saw the biggest moray I've ever seen......fun to encounter a big guy like that in a narrow cave passage :)

From Nakari we did shore dives, offshore dives on their bigger boats (mainly at dolphin house), lots of local RIB diving on the Nakari area reefs and a few truck dives up and down the coast in that area. There were day trips for folks staying at Nakari up to Shagra to dive at Elphinstone, althogh I did not do this (if you do Dolphin house, they will likely drive you down to Nakari and take the boat straight out from there). The great part of staying at both Nakari and Shagra is that they always seemed to have many dive outings going on and you could choose what you wanted.

We didn't see a lot of "big" stuff - Elphinstone is probably your best bet for that in that area.

The staff at Nakari was fantastic and were great with our kids when we were there.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom