Problems with weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unit240

Reaction score
Anyone else had problems with weight pockets ditching themselves without you finding out until it's too late. I've been diving an Oceanic Probe for 2 years now and in the last 6-7 months have lost one of the weight pouches at least 2 times. Once I went to the surface even after flaring and exhaling, this past weekend it has resulted in a lost pouch and weight. I am considering just going with a weight belt. Anyone else had this problem?

Does your probe use the wieght pockets with little white plastic sticks????

If it is that version you have to make sure the plastic stick goes in just right, otherwise it isnt locked. I had them drop out on my Probe several times. Rolled out of zodiak on a night dive made my descent and found an identical weight pocket to the ones my BC used great!, then realised it was mine, how lucky was I.

I just upgraded from the Oceanic Chute II to the new Chute III for the same reason. The new QLR system uses velcro and a locking snap. So far it's been solid as a rock.

I never lost a weight pocket from my old one, but came close once or twice. The "sticks" would warp and start to slide out.

I solved the problem by configuring the weights so they were stacked on top of one another in the back of the pocket instead of next to each other in the bottom row. I have no idea why this worked, but it did. After that, I went six years without a problem.

Your best bet, of course, is to get a BC with the new lock. I stayed with the Oceanic Chute because other than the weight pocket problem, the BC performed flawlessly and was tough as nails. After six years and a couple of hundred dives it still looks and functions like brand new.

Hope this helps you out some.....Scott

I had the same problem. Had because when I sent my BC in for the annual service I had a very small (very small) leak at a needle hole and they gave me a new BC which has a baynet closure in addition to the velcro. (SCORE!) :)

But, I also helped my velcro by burshing both sides after every dive with a stiff brush to keep it clean.

Bottom line is velcro alone is just not good enough. The new BCs adddress this problem with additional closure mechinisms.

After 1.5 years of diving my weights started the self ditching routine (3x). Like you on one dive I found a weight pouch just like mine. On closer inspection it even had the same phone number on it as mine!:confused:

I have seen people sew on an additional baynet type closure to help keep the velcro closed. Just be sure you can still ditch when you want to, and cover it in your pre-dive with your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom