Are my feet gargantuan - need advice for fins and boots using dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willnoble

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a size 10 street shoe size and can comment on the appropriate fins and rock boot they are using with a dry suit? Here is my problem: I have a Whites Fusion Dry Suit, standard DUI Rock Boots size 10, (which, as most of you will know, is larger than a standard size 10 shoe to factor in the dry suit undergarments) and I'm trying to pair all this up with Scubapro Jet (Rocket) Fins size XL. What I am finding is the Rocket Fins are too small for my rock boots. I realize I could go up a size in fins to the XXL but these seems way too large. Its almost like Scubapro could make another size that’s between the XL and XXL version but they don't. I've tried using Converse sneakers in replacement of my rock boots but still no go. It seems the side walls of the fins are too narrow and make it difficult to slide the boot all the way in. I can force it but the fins become very difficult to remove and after diving for 20 minutes I feel pain at the top of my foot. Ideally I'd prefer to replace the boots if possible with a boot that has a smaller width and keep the fins but at this point I just want to find the best fit. Any thoughts especially from those who wear a size 10 boot?

Thanks,

Will

if your dead set on Jet fin style fins, then get the Hollis F1. its the only clone on the market that I know of that at least attempts to fix the problems the Jet fin has. XL I believe is the right size.

It's a brand issue... like you said the difference between XL and XXL in the Scubapro is huge! :O

You might want to try the OMS slipstreams or HOG fins in XL

Get rid of the rock boots and get a pair of size 11 wet suit boots. They will keep your feet warmer and you'll be able to use the same fins you use when you dive wet.

DiveGear4Less: I tried the booties approach it did not work with my current booties I'd have to buy a larger size and the feel of the dry suit sock scrunching up drove me nuts.

Thank all for the great advice. I agree with all the comments. I checked out the Hollis fin XL and it it pretty well. My next task is to try on the OMS slipstreams XL, and the Turtle XXL. Its going to be very hard to choose between the three. I'm not prone to the turtle but I've heard good things about both the hollis and OMS slipstreams.

Cheers,

Will

It will probably come down to whether you want a negative or neutral fin--whichever trims you out properly. The Slipstreams are neutral, the Jets and Hollis fins are negative.

Here's a link to a group who took the time to compile information on turtles and other fins for various drysuits. The info I have listed above for Rock Boots and Spring straps is from personal experience having size 10 shoes/rock boots, so I can vouch for it.

Aloha Shore Divers

Thanks ScubaInChicago. I've seen this chart before and while I appreciate the time it took to complete I'm not convinced its accurate. Take my example, I have a size 10 shoe and own the XL jet fins. Based on the chart these fins should fit size 9-11 shoes but there is no way these fins fit me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom