Spring Strap Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLETCO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I have Deep See "Thruster" Fins, as seen here:

Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

A while ago, I bought Spring Straps for my fins, specifically this kind:

EZ Spring Fin Strap - Pro Diver, Black

I love the spring straps, but I have had an issue with them where the post on the fin that they're attached to will sometimes slip out of the strap, and it will come loose. This happens about once every 10-15 dives or so. I can feel it right away, and it is an easy fix, but it is an inconvenience and potentially hazardous if I'm in current at the time, etc.

To spring strap experts: Am I doing something wrong? Am I using the wrong type of straps? Are they the wrong size (I think I bought the smallest size). Is there a particular brand/type of spring strap that is recommended?

It's possible that I should just get new fins. I've had these since before I started my OW course, and I picked them out without any idea as to what I needed or was looking for in a fin. However, if I don't have to replace them just now, I'd rather not... I've been spending a lot on equipment lately.

--Kim

I can't see enough detail in the photograph of the fins, but are these like my Deep See Pulse fins, where the original straps clip into a holder on the fin with a plastic, pinch clip? If so, you can buy spring straps that have that type of fitting on the end of them, rather than the slide on kind you showed. I have the pinch clip kind for the Pulses, which I use for classes in the pool, and they have never come loose.

or you could just make sure they're fully seated & put a zip tie on each end to prevent them from coming off until you cut off the zip ties.

or you could just make sure they're fully seated & put a zip tie on each end to prevent them from coming off until you cut off the zip ties.

That is a remarkably simple idea that I should have thought of myself!

My wife uses zip ties, I use electrical tape. The electrical tape is 4 years old and I haven't touched it yet. The skinny zip ties rot in the sun.

I use the same straps. Mine came with elastomeric washers to hold them in place.

You can fix anything with zip ties. My dive buddy used a bunch of them to hold his brake caliper on long enough to get his RV home one time. The RV was in such a shape that the zip ties fit right in. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom