What Do Cold Fronts Mean For Diving in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karelmakov

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I booked a trip down to Key Largo this weekend (January 8-10) in the hopes of escaping the winter chill up here in the north. But now the weather forecast is showing me highs in the 50s during the day and lows in the 30s at night. The National Weather Service has even issued an official warning for the area.

I'm a little bummed because I was looking forward to thawing out a bit, but I'm more concerned with the diving we have planned.

My question: when a cold front like this moves in, does it usually mess up the diving conditions? Can I expect lower water temps, high seas, low vis, or worse...a no-go on diving? Or should I just bring a jacket for the boat and enjoy the reef as usual?

I understand that conditions in the winter are generally not as good as the rest of the year. I also understand that they will vary by the day and are impossible to predict, I'm looking for generalities for when particularly cold weather passes through FL.

Thanks,
Darren

My wife and I have been in the Keys during record cold (65 in Key West). Not pleasant. But, the diving is not really affected by the air temp. It's the wind speed and direction that is most important. Keep your fingers crossed that you have low wind speed, both to keep you warmer and to keep the turbulence low.

Yesterday here in Key Largo the diving was great, just the air temp on the boat after the dive was down right cold for us locals. But anything below a 70 deg air temp we go into hibernation mode. The only thing you need to worry about is the winds picking up and right now they are really calm. A good rule for this area with the winds :
East winds over 22 mph - trips maybe cancelled - seas too big.
North Winds - Great - no worries - can blow up to 25 mph just choppy.
NNE - NE - no real problem either - 2 to 4 foot seas based on wind speed.
Anything with WEST in it....Dive! Dive! Dive! Good conditions!
South - makes it choppy out there, and SE- can build some big seas.

That's good to hear. Based off that info, the wind shouldn't bee too bad (Fri W 8mph, Sat NW 12mph, Sun N/NW 17mph). Might be a little rough on Sunday but we'll manage.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hello,

I booked a trip down to Key Largo this weekend (January 8-10) in the hopes of escaping the winter chill up here in the north. But now the weather forecast is showing me highs in the 50s during the day and lows in the 30s at night. The National Weather Service has even issued an official warning for the area.

I'm a little bummed because I was looking forward to thawing out a bit, but I'm more concerned with the diving we have planned.

My question: when a cold front like this moves in, does it usually mess up the diving conditions? Can I expect lower water temps, high seas, low vis, or worse...a no-go on diving? Or should I just bring a jacket for the boat and enjoy the reef as usual?

I understand that conditions in the winter are generally not as good as the rest of the year. I also understand that they will vary by the day and are impossible to predict, I'm looking for generalities for when particularly cold weather passes through FL.

Thanks,
Darren

Do you have a drysuit?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom