NOVA - Killer subs in Pearl Habor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did anyone else watch the NOVA documentary last night on the thesis that the missing Japanese mini-sub sank (or helped sink) the USS Oklahoma?

I don't know how anyone can watch a documentary like that and not love the enigma of wreck diving. Nothing sets the pulse racing like a really good undersea archaelogical mystery.

Also nice to see John Chatterton still working hard on solving submarine mysteries!

NOVA | Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor | PBS

Did anyone else watch the NOVA documentary last night on the thesis that the missing Japanese mini-sub sank (or helped sink) the USS Oklahoma?

I don't know how anyone can watch a documentary like that and not love the enigma of wreck diving. Nothing sets the pulse racing like a really good undersea archaeological mystery.

Also nice to see John Chatterton still working hard on solving submarine mysteries!

NOVA | Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor | PBS

Was that the one where they analyzed pictures and found unexplained disturbances on the water surface inside the harbor? If so yes I saw it a couple of years ago.

My life long dream since I was 16 is to dive Truk. Talk about diving into history! Sadly for me it's never going to happen :)($$$:() but I love to watch the videos.

I believe that this is a new one, with some footage from the earlier one .. much like the Kee Bird

This was the one where they investigated the fate of the "5th minisub" which was sent into Pearl Harbor to attack the American ships. They knew the fate (unsuccessful) of the first four, but recently they found the wreckage of the fifth sub outside the harbor, with both torpedoes having been fired, so they set out to unravel the mystery of whether it hit anything, and how it ended up where it did.

As ever, they did a fantastic job of spinning it into an enthralling mystery (although I am sure many of the background facts had been long known). But I was also impressed how sensitively they handled the delicate issues, dealing with both Japanese and American historians and paying proper respect to the Japanese war dead, even though they were enemies in the conflict.

oops,
stand corrected. i'm stationed in pearl. just got home today...missed that special. to my knowledge they only accounted for (4) "BUT" some old time Japanese fellow said that one of the midgets were abandoned by the arizona. we were like ????what he ment was, they cut the super structure was cut off several of the battle ships and dragged to middle loch. thought he was some crazy guy from that area of oahu,

#1 - sunk by the Ward - Found just outside the harbor
#2 - sunk by two warships - buried on Ford Island
#3 - ran aground east of Oahu - on display Fredericksburg Tx (It's Capitan is first captured Japanese)
#4 - Scuttled - Keehi Lagoon - on display in Japan at Eta Jima
#5 - Dumped/salvage, just outside the harber - still there

Just finished watching the special, very well done (I like the faux-3D Ken Burns effect they build into the old photographs). It looks abundantly clear (as in, beyond any reasonable doubt) that #5 was salvaged and dumped--one of the segments has a cable tied right through a hole punched in the hull.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom