Couple of Aquacat questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmaha76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm signed up for the Aquacat in April and had a few questions about the boat. We'll start with the most important, what kind of beer do they have on draft? I'm hoping it's not all American beers, like to sample the local flavors. Can anyone give their opinions on cabins 9 & 10? My wife and I are considering sharing with my father-in-law, saves my wife and I some cash and from the pictures looks like a decent layout for three people. Also, how close are bars and restaurants for day 1 and the Friday back in port? Anything we should make sure we check out on our days in port?
And finally, anyone who hasn't posted a trip report have any opinions or stories they would like to share? I've read pretty much everything I could find on the internet, but am always eager for more. Thanks.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cr...877-wanted-liveaboard-advice.html#post3493236

Above is a review I contributed after my first (and only so far) Aquacat Trip. Bottom line is that it's a great vessel and experience. All the rooms looked the same to me and are larger (with big windows) than those of any other liveaboard I've been on (8 to date). They had a couple local beers on tap plus just about anything else you cared to drink. The Atlantis Hotel is within walking distance of the dock.

In that same area (which is quite upscale) you can find all manner of restaurants and drinking establishments. Our last day there, we walked all over the place and brought take-out back to the Aquacat -- since we had access to all the free drinks aboard plus a nice quiet place to eat on deck enjoying the evening harbor scene. It's the nicest liveaboard experience I've ever had.

The Aquacat has a couple local beers on tap, but I don't remember what they were. I DO remember that they were good, though! As memory serves me, the rooms all appeared to be the same size. except for the one small "economy" room, which a friend of mine stayed in and had no problem with. There was a family of three that had a room and they didn't complain about space. There is a tiki bar several yards from the boat where you can get something to eat and drink. They even have a swimming pool! Otherwise, a short walk into town you'll find plenty of eateries and places to drink.

You'll find that the crew will spoil you. After a dive, they rinse you off with a fresh water hose. There are alway snacks and fruit available to much on, as well as the self-serve taps of beverages. You use one tank for the duration of the trip so there's no changing of gear....the crew refill your tank after every dive. The food is phenomenal! The boat is first class all the way.

Enjoy your trip! I can't wait to go back again.

......as a long time subscriber to Underrcurrent dive magazine, there are many reports over the years that Aquacat exerts VERY annoying high pressure to tip the crew.....which is enough to knock them out of consideration in my book.

......as a long time subscriber to Underrcurrent dive magazine, there are many reports over the years that Aquacat exerts VERY annoying high pressure to tip the crew.....which is enough to knock them out of consideration in my book.

Wow, you won't go on a liveaboard because you are expected to tip? :confused:
It even states on their website, as well as every other liveaboard website I have seen, that a 15% tip is expected. I believe the crew of all liveaboards work their buns off to make sure everyone has a good, safe time. I think they easily earn a 15% tip, especially because I know that they make very low pay for the most part and rely on those tips. From everything I have seen and read about the Aquacat, I would not hesitate to use them.

I was about to start the same thread as my wife surprised me with a trip with my brother-in-law in February.

My question is more about the items to bring not on the official recommended list. For example, when I went on Blackbeard's several people recommended bringing metal clips to hang your stuff to dry on the lifelines and bringing a "big" cup for your beverages.

Anything extra's that I should bring to make my life easier on the boat.....other than a big appetite and taste for local brews and a plan to dive more times than I can count?

Thanks,

Take half the clothes you think you need and twice the swimwear!
About the metal clips--try to find plastic ones--I took metal ones with me on a liveaboard trip and within a few days they had started to corrode and left rust on my swimwear.

I did the Aquacat twice in 2006 & 2008. From my view, there was no significant pressure to tip. Just the normal mention when you checkout.

OTOH there was a significant reduction in the reef fish population between the two trips. I equate that to an increase in the lion fish population, which was obvious on the second trip. If I were to go back to the Bahamas, it would be in the southern part. I believe the Exuma Park days are numbered as a top dive location.

just my 2psi.

Here is more pictures and info on the CAT! It is a great boat and crew, the diving could be better, but you can still git in 25 good dives! The Cat is easy and not too many tricks about a boat this big and well laid out! No need for cloth pens or hangers they have it all! The Beers are local on tap and they do have rum on board..... The food is some of the best! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

600_IMG_8099_AC_picking_up_divers_07.jpg

Once in a while you run into stuff like this:
600_IMG_4307_Pilot_Whales_LLS_AC_2006.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom