Gotta question Halcyons customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
I am a firm believer in passing along good experiences as well as bad. I own quite a bit of Halcyon gear as do most of the people I dive with. Up until today, I have been a very strong believer in the gear they design and fabricate as well as the company in general.

Recent events have chipped away at my previously held belief that they are a superior company, especially in the area of customer service. I just got off the phone with them and would like to convey the following for those who consider customer service as part of the total package included when purchasing gear.

The product in contention is one of our wings. Last night I noticed that there was a stream of bubbles coming from my wifes wing. After having her surface we were able to locate a pinhole as being underneath her tank, in between the bands so just about smack dab in the middle of her right tank. After taking apart the rig I noticed that it was indeed coming from the wing and that it was a relatively small hole. I marked the area and made a note to call Halcyon first thing tomorrow (today). I recall seeing a thread recently here on SB about pinholes in their wings and did a quick search. While it made for interesting reading it confirmed that a call to Halcyon was in order.

Just got off the phone with them and they tried to tell me that due to the condition that wings are utilized their warranty only covers seams. They do not cover holes. I told him that I could understand if it was on the outer portion of the wing or a portion that was exposed to the elements as it could get snagged on any number of underwater items. But it wasn't! The fact that the hole was against the tank, thus preventing any burrs or being snagged while diving leads me to believe that there is some sort of manufacturing defect. This is where he becomes amatuerish in handling the issue. They indicated that "I could send it in... "but since he previously stated (twice) that they wouldn't do anything about it, that begged the question from me..."what are you going to do with it since you already indicated that you are unwilling to repair/replace it?" He didn't have an answer other than " well...we can't do anything". I was expecting a more creative answer than that and the obvious put-off.

We leave the wing attached to the tanks (doubles) and thus eliminates the possibility that something punctured it while being transported. I am baffled by the hole. The wing is 6 months old and is pampered as all of our gear is. I wouldn't be so outraged at them if it was some bone-headed thing I (or my wife) did but given the placement of the hole, don't see how that was feasible.

I will be attempting to contact JJ about the issue and will post a follow up to this odyssey for those that might have had (or will have) similiar experiences.

Best Regards
Don

Maybe someone who has more experience with Halcyon can chip in here...

I think one of the main 'problems' with a Halcyon single tank wing is that it does not have an inner bladder. It's just a cordura nylon wing.

My Deep Outdoors wing has an inner, plasticky bladder. If I get a pinhole in my outer covering (through a burr, abrasion, whatever) I still have a perfectly functional wing.

That being said - I've borrowed a Halcyon wing and vastly prefer it. I love it's shape and streamlined design.

I understand the concern with plastic bladders may have something to do with the shape of the wing or something, but I have to question that - I mean, they can make plastic bladders for all sorts of things - rings shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?

I've recently had a similar problem with my 36# halcyon wing. See this thread for details

http://www.scubaboard.com/t30524/s.html

I'm in agreement with you on the poor customer service. Not only did they not do anything they wouldn't even suggest a way to repair it - aquaseal has worked fine by the way.

I haven't tried any other wings of similar size on a BP so I can't compare it to others. I too enjoy the streamlined effect of the wing but the priority for me is it's reliability in function (ie holding air). I don't know... still got a bad taste in my mouth. I won't get another wing from halcyon and would give preference for other equipment to another company based on the fact that I don't think their customer service is up to par.

I had a pinhole in a wing once and it was replaced without question. The pinhole was probably caused by me as I am not the most careful person when it comes to stroring my gear when I'm done. It all tends to go in a pile after a dive and doesn't get hung up till later that day at the earliest.

I also had a rear dump valve go bad after I pulled it too hard and it was replaced and back on my desk at work in less than a week no questions asked. That was over Thansgiving weekend.

I even had an old 10 W HID lighthead replaced with the newer Proteus head at no cost.

I have nothing bad to say about their customer service. I have also found Bob H. in tech services to be very easy to deal with and very informative about my questions. They have been great to me. They will continue to get my business.

Don,

What size Explorer wing are you having problems with?

more than a month ago i posted my problem with rust on my brand new halcyon hardware after 3 days of diving. i got an rma and sent all the hardware in. more than 3 weeks later i still have neither received my old hardware back, much less any new replacement hardware. i called yesterday. they shipped it finally today-to the wrong address. scheduled delivery is the 25th. given that the zip code and town are incorrect i wonder when i will finally get it and if it will be all the stuff i sent in, either replaced or the original. i am worried they will only send me the harness hardware and not the crotch strap and bolts that i also sent in because they probably misplaced my original package. i already regret i ever sent it in. i should have just bought new hardware for $30 instead of waiting this long. not a good experience. i wonder what is going on. they better get their act together because news is spreading fast and there are alternatives.

Dan Gibson once bubbled...
I also had a rear dump valve go bad after I pulled it too hard and it was replaced and back on my desk at work in less than a week no questions asked.
What sort of failure mode? Did it leave the dump stuck in the open positon (very bad) or stuck in closed position (just a nuisance)?

Dan,
The wing I'm having an issue with is my 36lb wing. Luckily my wife has a back up and my 55lb just arrived so we are covered. If we didn't have a spare, I would be a little more uptight as who knows how much time it will take before I get it back.

In retrospect, I was a little more than hesitant about sending it in as I have no problems with fixing things myself. Especially after reading the threads about folks with similiar problems and fixing them with Aquaseal.

I'll post the reply from Halcyon as well as the direction the situation will be going in once I hear from Halcyon. Should be a few days....

BTW: Since this issue has developed into several threads with a similar theme, and for those keeping a tally of how people treat their gear, for the record...mine is pampered.

Best Regards
Don

GOod thing there are alternatives now to Halcyon. The new OXYCHEQ wings look fantastic, and I hope to get mine wet thursday...

I think Halcyon will continue to have problems with the pioneer wing. Good Luck everyone that has one...

Is it just me, or does it seem like it is only the wings that were produced in the last year or so???

I know some people that have had them for a few years, with no issues, but now, all of a sudden, there has been a rash of problems.

Did they change the manufacturer? Did they change the materials??? SOmethings up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom