Hollis DPV Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got a chance to look at the new Hollis DPV recently, and wanted to show it off, considering I haven't seen much info on these. I know they've been around for a bit, but they haven't gotten the exposure they need, in my opinion.

The Hollis scooter has some interesting features. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the H-160. According to my scale, it weighs a hair under 50 pounds. Hollis claims that it has 60lbs of thrust with three power settings (50%, 75%, 100%, controlled via trigger). The 6061 T6 aluminum, hard anodized with a "marine finish," gives it a depth rating of 656 feet. The prop is nothing new, with 9 pitch settings.

I didn't get to take it in the water, but on land, I messed around with the trigger. It was interesting. It is forgiving of when you let go, it keeps running for just about a second before stopping, so you can change your grip while moving if need be, without stopping. A few squeezes takes you up to 100% power.

The battery is really unique. Notice the screw on the top. The scooter hull screws onto this. You set the hull on the scooter, and turn the light assembly on the front, to assemble it. Very unique! No latches mean less through hull welds, which means less failure points.

You can also see the removable trim weights on the battery, which let you adjust for salt or fresh water.

It's a NiMH battery and my understanding is, at 100% power you get about an hour of burn time at max pitch. I also understand that most users are fine with less than full speed/full pitch combo, and at 75% power you get about 2 hours of burn time.

This picture shows the base of the battery mount...there are 4 struts which the battery rests on, and here you can see the screws that hold the struts on to the motor assembly. Very easy to take off, and you can take the struts off the battery for maximum disassemblage if need be.

This is the center of the motor assembly, where Hollis has put a cable protector. Underneath this are the through connections to connect the battery for the motor.

Double o-rings seal the hull.

This is the light assembly, which you tighten to put the scooter together. You can turn the light on or off easily, and it's a total of 3x3w emitters, so it's decently bright. You can also order the scooter without the light, but it makes a nice backup for cave divers.

This is the cruise control setting. You can push this in to lock the scooter off, or to lock it on.

Hollis has installed these nice spots to put your line on!

Very pretty Hollis logo on the side, and a real nice finish on the body! You can also sorta see the handle Hollis has on the front of the scooter, which locks into place either up or down to stay out of your way on the dive.

Pretty standard looking tail.

All said and done, it feels like a nice scooter. I'd like to take it in the water, but I can't quite afford the $3500 price tag at Dayo Scuba. (I am an intern at Dayo Scuba and they let me go all over their scooters to take pictures and write about it, with the provision that they could use the pictures and what I wrote.)

Last edited:
Thank you! This is exactly some information I've been looking for on these scooters.:cool2:

It was cool to meet you at Ginnie a few weeks ago. Always good to be able to put names & faces to screen names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom