The OK sign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy constantly gives everyone the "ok" sign, even when they aren't diving with us, and don't appear to have any problems. Most of the time they don't signal back.

Do more experienced divers see him and think "dorky new diver", or are they just dicks?

You'd think at least the guy that was so buried in his gauges the other week, that he almost swam right into me would have at least acknowledged us in some way?

If giving everyone the "ok" for no apparent reason labels you a geek, is there some sort of signal that is appropriate?
A nod, a wave, a high five, the secret scuba underwater handshake, yanking my reg out and yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUP!"?

I don't know what the official answer to your question is or if there there even is one, but I don't go around giving the ok signal to divers that I'm not diving with. If I see another diver and they look like they may be having problems I will give them an ok signal and wait for a response, if no response I give it again. I can't do much more than that. With my immediate dive buddy the ok signal is a command signal that must be returned with the same signal back or a signal telling me what the problem is. I generally don't communicate withother divers out there, but I have had other divers wave, or smile thru their regs.

grunzster once bubbled...
My buddy constantly gives everyone the "ok" sign, even when they aren't diving with us, and don't appear to have any problems. Most of the time they don't signal back.

Do more experienced divers see him and think "dorky new diver", or are they just dicks?

You'd think at least the guy that was so buried in his gauges the other week, that he almost swam right into me would have at least acknowledged us in some way?

If giving everyone the "ok" for no apparent reason labels you a geek, is there some sort of signal that is appropriate?
A nod, a wave, a high five, the secret scuba underwater handshake, yanking my reg out and yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUP!"?

I'd vote for the dorky new diver.

If he's overly gregarious, tell 'im to wave.

An OK is a serious signal, not to be over-used.

If someone rams into you, they owe you an OK.

If you don't get one returned, I'd stop them till they did.

Maybe they're narced -as well- as stupid, consider their safety.

If they ask you later, you can explain manners to them.

Except for a subtle wave when passing other divers (usually only in a cave) I rarely interact with "outside" divers. As Wendy states, the OK sign is a command signal that REQUIRES a response, either an OK or a signal that something's wrong (waggle of the hand and then pointing at your ear, for example). If I perceive that something may be wrong with a diver outside the team, I'll communicate with them, but otherwise our team keeps to itself.

For the record, the other two command signals are hold/remain stationary (closed fist) and "call the dive" (thumb up). Both must be responded to in kind to acknowledge receipt of the command.

Roak

Popeye once bubbled...

Maybe they're narced -as well- as stupid, consider their safety.

What about personal responsiblity? :wink:

If someone gives me the ok signal when there is no apparent reason to suggest I have a problem then I take it as a hi how you doing from a fellow diver with sense of comradery and will return it ( good manners ) and it do's no harm.
On the other hand I find divers that ignore someone giving it or get upset tend to be introverted, antisocial with illusions of grandeur and will be avoided by me at all cost.
Its a sport get a life and enjoy it

Using the OK sign for casual chit-chat is akin to calling 911 for someone to talk to when you're lonely. It has nothing to do with being antisocial. Most scuba signs are disigned to aid in life support, not for conversation. Cdiver2, if you want to avoid people who take these signals seriously, that is your right. Otherwise, lets save the "sharing" for the beach or boat.
By the way, when someone waves at me, I salute back. There is no scuba signal that a salute might be confused with. Taking life support signals seriously does not make someone "introverted, antisocial with illusions of grandeur".

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought the ok sign was "are you ok " or "yes I am ok", Not I need help there are various other signs to let people know you are in trouble.
Apart from that why put someone down "newbi dweb" if he is a newbi then I envey him his thrill at entering a new world and if this is his only mistake (by some people's standards) then he would be a better diver than any one of us on this board.

Hey, if your buddy wants to flash the OK sign at every diver he comes across, who cares! He's obviously I LOVE with scuba. No worries. Maybe it's a little dorky, but there's WORSE things to be. Blow it off and relax with the thought your buddy is safety concious.

-Dennis

cdiver2 once bubbled...
Correct me if Im wrong but I thought the ok sign was "are you ok " or "yes I am ok", Not I need help there are various other signs to let people know you are in trouble.

IMHO,

I agree with cdiver..but I also agree with Rick. I wouldn't go around using the ok signal for no apparent reason, just in case it gets confused with something. However, cdiver is correct in saying that the ok isn't used as an emergency signal.

I would look at it more as personal preference than something that had to be one way or another. :)

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom