A passing of a great SEI supporter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just finished this and hope no one objects. But I would not be here in this capacity if it were not for my wife who passed at 12:02AM 1/7/2010:

Churney, Denise Lynne- Beloved Spouse, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Stepmother went to be with our Lord on 1/7/2010 after a 30+ year battle with muscular dystrophy. During this time she never allowed her illness to hold her back. In addition to crocheting, her computer, shopping, swimming, and being around scuba divers who treated her like a queen, she enjoyed being in the sun in places like Key Largo and Key West, Ocean City, Cozumel Mexico, in a helicopter over Niagara Falls, strolling around Washington D.C., Jamaica, the Bahamas, Epcot, and Bonaire that she traveled to as well as her own backyard.

She also greatly loved her cats- Sweetie, Charlie, Maggie, and Okey Dokey. She was a regular visitor as well to the slots. She also in 2009 snorkeled in the ocean for the first time in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Roller coasters were also a favorite activity and she always wanted to skydive but did not get the chance. A great joy was visiting friends and family and talking with them. In all she not only knew how to live but taught others how as well through her amazing spirit and strong, generous heart. Her greatest joy was bringing a smile to the face of everyone she met.

She is survived by her husband, friend, lover, and caregiver James Lapenta. Her mother Loretta Churney, sister Darlene Jury and husband Ron, brother John Churney and girlfriend Joyce, Nephews Matthew, Anthony, and Steven (girlfriend Leah) Jury, Nephews Jason and wife Dawn and daughter Kamarya, Trevor, and Evan (girlfriend Alyssa) Churney. She will also be greatly missed by step children Senior Airman Joshua (girlfriend Mia), and his sister Katherine Lapenta. In addition she leaves behind favorite Uncle Bill DePaoli and wife Ollie as well as numerous other Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, personal care attendants and people whose lives she touched and continues to touch through donations made in her name by numerous scuba friends to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

She was preceded in death by her father John Churney, her grand parents, her beloved Aunt and Godmother Lorna, and other dear family members.

Haven't been on here for a while and just saw this. I am very sorry for your loss Jim, you are in my prayers.

Jim,

You know we are here for you. Continue what you LOVE doing. Denise would want you to do that.

Peace and Grace always!

Dear Jim: I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you and your family and friends; willing you strength and support during the next while.

Dear Jim,

Condolences on your loss and I wish you the best in what must be a very difficult time, I am sure your lady is watching over you and always will be there.

Chris

Jim,

You and your family are in my prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom