Question about feet cramping when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all:

I am not sure what to do about this and am looking for advice. My feet cramp when diving...particularly on the outside (not the arch area...the other side of the foot, along the length of the foot).

When diving in warm water, or with a wet suit, I normally dive blade fins...when diving dry, I normally dive jet fins. I originally thought the stiffer jet fin caused this, but it seems to happen no matter which fin I dive with. It also doesn't matter if I flutter kick or frog kick.

I am wondering...is this an improper fit issue (are the fins too small?). With both sets of fins (jets with rock boots...blades with 5 mil wetsuit boots), the end of the foot pocket only comes to about the front part of my heel. Do I need larger fins (the jets are XL's and I think the blades are larges...they may be XLs...not sure.

It is really aggravating and while it doesn't ruin the dive...it makes it less than enjoyable.

Thanks;

John

My experience, and what I've seen of others, is this is often a case of the diver tensing their toes and feet during the dive.

It may also be a fit issue, but since this is happening with more than one set of fins, I would suspect that this is more of a factor of "how" you're finning.

Try to focus on consciously relaxing your toes and feet during the dive. Properly fitted fins don't require straining as part of normal finning.

How old are you? Were your parents predisposed to cramping in general as is my case? I pretty much solved the problem by taking a potassium pill daily (don't like bananas).

Are you frog kicking, bicycliing, or finning the long, slow PADI way? When I fin using my whole leg, I get cramps too. Frog kicking solves the problem. Have a cave diver show you how.

I had a student in confined water that was prone to cramping in her toes. She had some problems in the pool as a result. In open water, she said she supplemented her potassium intake and was ok.
Not sure if potassium will help you or not but maybe something to look at.

Had the same cramp, my fin strap was too tight with the boots on. Loosened them and no more cramp. Worth a shot.

I always try to stretch my feet (flexing and rubbing) at some point before diving...I also take a potassium supplement every day (I hate bananas as well!)

The other thing is to make sure something isn't too tight...booties...fin straps...etc. That may cause cramping as well...

If your fins are too small and you are compensating for the loss of leverage because they are too far out on your foot, you might be tensing your feet to stabilize the fins. Try one size larger and get back to us.

If your fins or the fin + boot combination squeezes your feet, the cramping could be due to the pressure cutting off blood supply? Some foot pockets (like the Jets) are shaped to fit a 2 x 4 and not a human foot :D (down there Jet lovers, just kidding). So the top of the foot pocket puts pressure across the top of the foot, and in my case made Jets *very* uncomfortable.

Also, some older fin models don't have much of a "base plate" in the foot pocket, where many newer fins have extended the "base plate" to almost reach the heel of your foot. In my case the longer "base plate" helps transfer the strain of kicking away from the small joints and muscles in my feet and into the much stronger ankle joint.

Just something to think about. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

Henrik

Also, for potassium purposes a box of coconut water has more potassium than bananas, if anyone doesn't like bananas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom