to log or not to log....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RYCO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
how many of you log every dive? why do it? im not saying not to do it, im asking why? if to seek further training, do the instructors look at your booklet? or do they go off what you tell them?

or is it more like a journal?

im new at this and just trying to understand.

Like a journal! I have dives going back a long time and I get to relive some of them by simply reading my log.

Sometimes you need your logbook because dive certs get messed up or rating changed. Computer logs don't make it! They aren't signed...

Always get your buddy to sign your log entry and do the same for them.

Or don't log...

Richard

Like rstofer, I enjoy going back and reading my log book entries from time to time. I recommend keeping a logbook, but ... to each his own.

Like a journal! I have dives going back a long time and I get to relive some of them by simply reading my log.

Sometimes you need your logbook because dive certs get messed up or rating changed. Computer logs don't make it! They aren't signed...

Always get your buddy to sign your log entry and do the same for them.

Or don't log...

Richard

I agree I do the same

For PADI, before completing the Dive Master course, you need to have at LEAST 50 logged dives. So yes, instructors will look at it to make sure you qualify to finish the course.
:coffee:

I keep a log for some of the same reasons as others have stated. It is also nice to have a reference of water temps and other conditions at various times of the year. My log over the past 10 years also includes weight worn in different conditions - nice to know information when returning (assuming similar gear). Not that it has changed much over the years, but I also have air consumption data for most of the dives. Again, understanding variance in air used in different conditions is helpful in planning. I'm a stats geek... When I can keep up with it, I like the comments section to record what was seen and relative merits of the site. Again, this can be helpful in guiding which sites you want to hit on a future trip. Logging isn't for everyone and I have to admit that I go through dry periods where I log only the raw data.

I keep a log for some of the same reasons as others have stated. It is also nice to have a reference of water temps and other conditions at various times of the year. My log over the past 10 years also includes weight worn in different conditions - nice to know information when returning (assuming similar gear). Not that it has changed much over the years, but I also have air consumption data for most of the dives. Again, understanding variance in air used in different conditions is helpful in planning. I'm a stats geek... When I can keep up with it, I like the comments section to record what was seen and relative merits of the site. Again, this can be helpful in guiding which sites you want to hit on a future trip. Logging isn't for everyone and I have to admit that I go through dry periods where I log only the raw data.

yeah thats what im talking about, the dives that you dont care if you relive them or not. like i dove the other day and it was.... well a fun dive but i was down for abt 30 mins in <60 ft. vis was <0. why log it? unless my instructor wants to see it for further training. but ive never signed anyones and no one has signed mine. how do they know i didnt just make it up? those of you who have furthered their diving education, did they look at your book?

For PADI, before completing the Dive Master course, you need to have at LEAST 50 logged dives. So yes, instructors will look at it to make sure you qualify to finish the course.
:coffee:

60 for Divemaster, 50 for Master Scuba Diver. I log every dive, including shallow, solo ones. If it's over 15 feet and 20 minutes and I'm with a buddy I make sure to get him to sign. I want to have as many "official" ones as possible for training requirements. Otherwise, it's just a handy journal.

I've never been required to show my log book. I think it is a good idea for you to log dives for a bit though. It can actually be a great tool to assist you in learning more. Personally I stopped logging dives somewhere around #300. It just started to seem pointless for me, but I am really glad I logged dives at first. Now I am keeping a log only on Tech Dives and keeping notes with the dive plan. I don't think it is nessesary, but useful nonetheless.

I would suggest you log your dives, with as much detail as possible, until you have at least a hundred or so dives. After that, there might not be much real need to log. It's just good information, and besides, I think it's a fun opportunity to sit around with your buddy, and other divers and swap stories. That buddy signature moment is also a great chance to get a phone number, email or other contact info. If you get insta-buddied on a boat, you might want to dive with that person again.

This log is required if you intend to further your training to Divemaster, or Instructor levels. Even if you don't go pro, the log is probably required for tech training (I'm not sure about that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom