Best place to find Jaw Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

123wpb

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i was wondering if anyone knows a good place to collect pearly jawfish in the wpb upper keys area and i semi shallow water 20-50 feet if not shallower thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I hear crickets. Perhaps nobody here really wants to see anyone collecting jawfish. Just sayin'.

Yeah if we know where they are, we want to see 'em again.

THere is a Huge Colony on the 826 interchange around 1500 to 1800 everyday. Bunch of them along Sistrunk in Broward too.. just ask the locals for directions

Eric, you're the best. :rofl3:

im only looking for a pair of jf for my aquarium jjust thought id save myself forty bucks or so!! but i guess thats a little to much to ask for around here!

im only looking for a pair of jf for my aquarium jjust thought id save myself forty bucks or so!! but i guess thats a little to much to ask for around here!

Leave them where they are, buy them if you must.

Good diving, Craig

123wpb-- We are so jaded because of a local dive site well known for juvenile tropicals. Once pictures are post of excellent specimens and locations are given they DISAPPEAR! Many commercial collectors clean out whole colonies of fish.
After having seen first hand of what happened to this site no one is going to tell you where anything is. Lobster however are ugly pest and they have all moved to the Keys you will find them there...

Jawfish are best left in the wild. Although they are peaceful fish, they need several inches of substrate and can be very distructive (i.e. take the substrate from under live rocks until it collapses). You should only have 1 at a time in a tank unless you are able to get a confirmed pair. I've had jawfish before and they never live long, 6-8 months tops - if I was lucky. Most of my other fish would live years.

Personally, I could never take a fish. Currently, most of the animals in my take are tank bred. The exception are the hermit crabs. Oh...if anyone ever wants some pulsing xenia and is in the Sarasota area, PM me. My tank is being taken over!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom