Have mask problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a 66 year young male who started diving 2 years ago. I have deep creases from my nostrils to the corners of my mouth. I am having issues with water seaping into my mask and am spending quite alot of time clearing my mask. It is very frustrating and taking the joy out of diving. I have tried several masks to no avail (also need reading glasses inserts) Short of botox (which would make me look like a chipmunk), or duct tape, does anybody have any recommendations? PLEASE HELP ME!! Thank you.

Have you tried a frameless mask like the Atomic? That seems to fit everyone I have ever seen try it. Even if it does leak, it is so low volume and easy to clear that it might be good for you. I once had two students come to class with them, and it was hard to teach them the proper way to clear a mask because it seemed that whatever they did, no matter how poorly done, worked instantly.

I assume you have tried spreading your face out when you put the mask on by placing your fingers under the nostrils and pulling out toward your cheeks.

Although such creases can cause problems, you may also have other issues. Many new divers exhale through their noses while they dive, constantly breaking the seal of the mask. Another common problem is making small movements with the mouth, often because of lack of familiarity and comfort with the regulator, which break the seal.

Finally, people with leaking problems often make the mistake of tightening the mask strap too much. This not only does not help, it makes it worse. Your mask should be comfortable on the face--it should not feel tight.

Hi Ulrichicago,

I have the same problem (deep creases) that don't respond ( for long) to flattening my face. It's just the way my face flexes. I have aprox 6 masks that I dive with on and off and all give me trouble. The best fit is the one I like the least (crystralvu) but even that one gives me grief occasionally. I bought an OMS as a back up and that one doesn't work very well at all (damn it). The hunt for the perfect mask continues! I am going to try a Mako next myself.

I lube the skirt lightly with silicone grease and this helps a bit but I have to say, so far, I have just gotten really good at diving with some water in my mask and with clearing. Some guys with mustaches have the same issues.

Sorry I can't offer a solution but at least you know you are not a freak - unless I am a freak which means you ar...

Back
Top Bottom