Buy gauge then upgrade? Or save

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you know you're going to get a computer someday, tradeoffs might include:
how much the gauges cost,
how long you have to delay buying if you wait until you can afford the computer,
how much diving you expect to do while waiting for computer,
how likely a better computer will come along in the meantime,

Remember, the gauges can be a backup someday if your computer ever fails.

I was diving for a year with a computer set-up. Computer failed on a funeral dive (fathers ashes laid on a reef). Now I dive with both.

If it is costs, buy analog. When you can afford a computer, it will be better than the one you buy now. The analog guages will not change....

Good diving!

For years, people dove using gauges. My understanding is a lot of the cave diving folk use depth and bottom timers, despite the fact that there are computers out there that can handle the style of diving they do.

If all you can afford now is gauges, and that will get you in the water more now, get gauges.

If you have gauges, they can back up your future computer.

+1 for gauges so you'll have a backup in the event your computer fails. My only gauge is my spg but I dive with a watch & a computer for this very reason. With no backup you'll lose the rest of the day's diving if your computer croaks.

If you have nothing at the moment, a used computer (especially an air computer) is probably cheaper than a depth gauge and reliable dive watch. Remember, you need depth and time info.

I would not spend a lot of money on an air-integrated computer; you should think about a perfectly functional wrist computer that will work great for any recreational diving, and a brass/glass SPG. Once you have some dive experience you'll realize that you don't need to constantly monitor your air, and that depth/time info is much more convenient on your wrist than on a console.

If you already have a watch and you can get a simple console with SPG and analog depth for next to nothing, it will get you through some dives, but you will probably want to get a computer on your wrist at some point.

Our computers were demos from a scuba shop ... a good deal, and came with new warranty. Worth checking your LDS and places like Scuba Toys and Leisure PRo.

I would not spend a lot of money on an air-integrated computer; you should think about a perfectly functional wrist computer that will work great for any recreational diving, and a brass/glass SPG.

I agree with mattboy. This my set-up: Computer on right wrist + small SPG clipped to upper lefty d-ring. Wrist compass is generally stowed in a pocket unless need is anticipated and then it goes on my left wrist. The computer handles the depth and dive time chores, while the SPG tracks the gas.

My 2 cents worth (CDN so maybe not worth as much as others :wink: )

Get a bottom timer, gives you both depth & time (used if cash is the deciding factor ), use & learn tables since you are new at the sport. Once you get a computer, use it for back up. You'll be a better diver for it !

Cheers, Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom