Underwater Ecology Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axmaniac

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have to do a biology project for school. There is an award, so I'd like to do a good job. I'm planning on doing some sort of an underwater ecology project, but I can't think of any good ideas. The only body of water that I dive regularly is a quarry. (Philadelphia Quarry, Philadelphia, Tennessee, if it helps) There are fish, but they're very skittish.

--Thanks
Grant

Please be more specific. What exactly are the parameters assigned to the project?

It just has to be an ecology project. The teacher's goal is just to get us in the natural world.

If fish are few and far between, direct observation could be a problem (doing a species census, etc...). You might try "roping off" a shallow water habitat--perhaps a few square meters--and taking a plant/animal census over a period of time, say the next few months. Document the species, proliferation of specimens, vitality, etc, and you might consider using a photo log for additional documentation.
Just an idea.

Some quarries grow types of sponges. You could get samples and describe the structural differences between fresh and saltwater sponges. You can even go as deep as the structure of the spongin proteins. And since structure is different, their way of feeding is different, ect. Countless possibilities with sponges.
Of course to get the data you would need to dive to observe and obtain samples :)
:coffee:

I might try to draw a connection between substrate type and number of fish seen. Maybe look at the proximity of the fish to the walls of the quarry. Take a reel down, make a transect at a right angle to the wall or over varying substrate, and divide the transect into bins (0-5 meters from wall, 5-10 meters, etc. or by substrate). Swim along it counting the species, numbers, and substrate of fish observed within x meters of the transect.

Talk with your teacher and find out what water quality tests you can run in your lab. Different locations, depths to form a database over time. Not just grab samples, but a series of samples from the exact same locations on a regular basis, say once a week. You don't have to find anything, the effort you put into doing the work right will be time well spent. That is the way science is done in the real world.

BTW, no reason why you cannot do several experiments on a single dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom