Cruise ship...your own gear...storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to Coz and Grand Caymen on a Cruise ship. I already booked with div ops, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried storing their equipment on the cruise ship after it has been wet or how it was dealing with it in their room?

I love using my own gear, but if it's going to be too big of a hassle I might just take my regs and computer.

Thanks
Brian

I rinse and let dry in the shower. If I need to use the shower it moves to the closet and them back into the shower until dry. Also found the area by the porthole to be useful. it can be tight unless you have a mini suite.

Not a problem. Warm water dive gear takes up little room and dries quickly. I took my full gear on the cruise I did. Since then have booked vacations that offered a great deal more diving than you can get while on a cruise.

theskull

I've always taken my own gear on cruises.

Take it from experience, leave the dive knife home. Take shears or a line cutter. Getting back on board with a knife is a hassle that's not worth it.

I've always taken my own gear on cruises.

Take it from experience, leave the dive knife home. Take shears or a line cutter. Getting back on board with a knife is a hassle that's not worth it.

Same for dive tools. They are likely to be confiscated before you can board the ship, so, save on your weight allowance and leave them at home.

We have no trouble hanging all our gear ing the shower....

And I hope you didn't book your diving through the cruise?
Can you say MOOOO!

Private boats at both stops are the way to go.. If you're diving Gr Cayman and Coz, I assume you'll be in Jamaica too? Great diving there also! I can recommend great private boats in all 3 stops...

I've done cruise dives in tropical locations a couple times. As you suggested, consider just bringing your regs, computer, mask and maybe fins, and renting the BC and (if needed) wetsuit. It's a hassle to rinse and dry the bulky items in a ship cabin, and there's a certain luxury to handing over the wetsuit and BC after the dive and letting the dive op deal with cleaning it. I'd even prefer to rent fins, but rental fins tend to suck, and there's nothing worse than bad fins on an awesome dive. If I am diving every day for a week, I bring all my gear, but just for a couple days, I settle for a rental BC. It's worked out well enough.

If you do bring your own BC (especially if you are going to be dealing with 2 of them), make sure you bring a BC hanger for drying in the shower -- the hangers in the rooms on Carnival ships, at least (not sure about Royal C), are those "please don't steal us" 2-parters that you cannot hang anywhere else in the room, and the drying lines in there aren't strong enough for 1 BC, much less 2.

Have fun on your cruise!

Did two cruises and brought our own gear........

Went through the boat on the first trip and booked them myself on the second....

If I did it again I would rent gear........

I would bring C-Card, DAN card, camera setup, mask, booties, computer, light, SMB, reel and whistle......

I would book my own trips and ensure they had good rental gear available and ready for me..........

Sounds like you are doing 4 or 6 dives total, so hauling your own stuff for that seems excessive to me........

When we go to an island, then we bring our own gear as we dive way more........

M

I would agree with Jorgy. Though I only went on one cruise (before starting to dive), I noticed they did classes in the pool on ship. Perhaps if you take the dive deal provided by the cruise line they will include all equipment as part of the price?-I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom