Tank size for Dual 85lb wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I was wondering, I just bought a new dual 85lb Hollis wing and plan to use it on LP98's with up to 2 x 80cft deco cylinders that i will sling one on each side..

the problem is, this wing is so huge that it seems it will taco around even these bigger LP98 tanks? But i guess with all the extra gear, I really do need this kind of lift?

what are the suggestions around tank sizes for this wing? I was unable to find anything about the wing's intended use or what is was designed for on the hollis web site..

I'm thinking the 65lb is what i need, but the Hollis Wings with that kind of lift doesnt come in dual bladder format?? So, a dual bladder option would be something like a dual Dive Rite Classic EXP that has 65lb ?

thanks for any insight into the design intent and recommendations for this hollis wing.

cheers

Koos

Last edited:
As a tech instructor I see many people showing up with these very large lift capacity wings and they are always surprised at how little lift they really need. I have yet to see a good reason for a dual bladder BC but there are those who do think they are necessary- they are not. A 55-60 lb wing would be plenty for most people and that set-up. The DR Classic would be a much better choice but the single bladder variety. The huge wings that many companies make are more for the uneducated divers that seem to think more lift is better and if 60 is good 80 must be much better. As with many things in diving marketing controls product not usefulness.

Agreed!!! Huge lift capacity = unnecessary drag. Dual bladder BCs are unnecessary if you dive dry. 65lbs wing is also very large. I use a Halycon 40lbs wing that offers ample buoyancy with multiple slings.

Even diving wet I find dual bladder wings unnecessary, with the heavier steel tanks and multiple slings a 40lb wing would be a bit on the light side-especially if diving wet but 85 would be overkill.

Great feedback! Thanks! I've always used 50lb wing and it's More than fine on my hp100's

but on the lp98 twin set over filled a bit :) with a couple of slinged 80's plus enough weight to control buoyancy on a nice long ass deco if all these tanks are near empty, this makes the gear so heavy that it doesn't float on the surface at all and I find myself having to add air into drysuit and prettymuch fill up the bc to stay afloat..

So I for sure do see the need for these bigger wings, but 85, 95 and 100 is a little big.. I think 65 will do..

Dual bladder is one of those things that you wish you had when an inflator or other component on your primary bladder fails at 200-300 feet.. I would not do for example truk lagoon 250ft into wrecks without it. But that's just me.

I'll get a classic dr dual bladder, that seems like the one I need..

Thanks!

Dual bladder is one of those things that you wish you had when an inflator or other component on your primary bladder fails at 200-300 feet.. I would not do for example truk lagoon 250ft into wrecks without it. But that's just me.

So, you're on a penetration dive, it's a bit of a tight squeeze you knock the walls a little bit and the result is a LPI sticks open and starts to inflate your wing.

Which one do you disconnect?

Dual bladders just add way too much complexity. Keep it simple, get your weighting right. If you are diving wet, think about aluminium tanks rather than steel - they give you more ditchable weight and a better balanced rig.

In a drysuit, I use a 40lb wing with steel doubles, two AL80s and a an AL40 with no problem. Doesn't really matter if the tanks are overfilled - if you really screw up your wing early in the dive and you can't compensate with your drysuit, you just ditch the stages. If it's at the end, you're lighter anyway.

Great feedback! Thanks! I've always used 50lb wing and it's More than fine on my hp100's

but on the lp98 twin set over filled a bit :) with a couple of slinged 80's plus enough weight to control buoyancy on a nice long ass deco if all these tanks are near empty, this makes the gear so heavy that it doesn't float on the surface at all and I find myself having to add air into drysuit and prettymuch fill up the bc to stay afloat..

So I for sure do see the need for these bigger wings, but 85, 95 and 100 is a little big.. I think 65 will do..

Thanks!

Hi Kdupreez,

The 85 Dual is more than enough lift for 99% of the guys out there and although there is a market for it, it might not be yours.

We also offer our 55X in a dual configuration. Part number 208.1252.055.

This is a brand new product and will be available March '10.

Thanks,

Last edited:
+1 against the dual bladder wing, if you get a strong enough puncture it will more than likely go through both bladders anyway. If you still choose to buy a dual bladder wing I would at the very least leave the LP hose disconnected. Read around on the boards and you'll see that a slow leaking LP valve is much much more common than a wing failure. In extreme cold water conditions some divers disconnect their LP hoses completely and orally inflate only while at depth.

Thanks!

In thousands of dives I have not had the need for a dual bladder if at 200-300 feet I had a wing failure I could easily use the drysuit to compensate if inside the wreck and a smb would easily work outside the wreck. For a wing to totally fail the puncture or tear would have to be significant and if it is a tear or puncture both bladders on a dual bladder wing would probably be destroyed. A balanced rig and training on how to handle a complete failure is a simpler and more streamlined fix if that is a worry for you. Total wing failure is such a rare occurrence that the bulkiness and rigging problems that come with a dual bladder wing are generally not worth the effort when there are simple ways to deal with the problem even at 300ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom