New wreck reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean this?

TangledRope1235.jpg

You won't. It's an experimental reel that SSI and PADI are using in their new Wreck Penetration Simulation certification course.

:D

Wow. I'm glad the maker did a video and wrote all that good information about the wreck, but there are so many less than optimal or in my opinion unsafe things shown there that I think it's really important that it be said those are not good safety practices. Penetrating a real (as opposed to a prepared, sanitized) wreck at 100 feet in a single tank, with apparently no training in avoiding silting, and with a line system which is cumbersome and set up to encourage entanglement, is not a good idea.

Wow. I'm glad the maker did a video and wrote all that good information about the wreck, but there are so many less than optimal or in my opinion unsafe things shown there that I think it's really important that it be said those are not good safety practices. Penetrating a real (as opposed to a prepared, sanitized) wreck at 100 feet in a single tank, with apparently no training in avoiding silting, and with a line system which is cumbersome and set up to encourage entanglement, is not a good idea.

So I can put you down as a "No" for future orders on this particular reel?

:wink:

Ya this wreck is as real as it gets. She is almost upside down and is huge and really easy to get lost in. She also has lots of wires hanging and many many places to cut you up good.

I have not seen these is shops yet but it looks good.

YouTube - Diving - Straits of Mackinac - Cedarville Shipwreck

What I saw in that video I would not even call a reel.
Agree with TSandM, and a 80cuft bottle at that, and no redundant air supply!

At 3 minutes in, he ties off. And he ties a knot??

By 4 minutes in, s/he's got it hopelessly tangled, and rather than wrap it up, it's dragging along, ready to snag the wreck and/or his gear.

I tangle my reel more often than not, always on the way back to the line...it seems like if I look away for a second or two that's all it takes for a loop to get caught on the outside of the reel, and after that you're done for.

I always wonder why they can't make a spring loaded reel that automatically retracts on the way back to the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom