If you're offended by "DIR"...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you're offended by the phrase "Doing it Right"- Do you support, purchase, or condone the sale of "Dive Rite" products? :popcorn:

Interested as to where you are taking this? Should be good! :popcorn:

I smell a troll

prepping for your fundies course there doc?

I am a DIW (doing it wrong) diver who would have no problem buying a Dive Rite product if it suited my needs. I believe that I might have bought a Dive Rite reel, in fact...

"Right" and "Rite" are two different things
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rite:
rite  [rahyt] Show IPA
–noun
1. a formal or ceremonial act or procedure prescribed or customary in religious or other solemn use: rites of baptism; sacrificial rites.
2. a particular form or system of religious or other ceremonial practice: the Roman rite.
3. (often initial capital letter) one of the historical versions of the Eucharistic service: the Anglican Rite.
4. (often initial capital letter) liturgy.
5. (sometimes initial capital letter) Eastern Church, Western Church. a division or differentiation of churches according to liturgy.
6. any customary observance or practice: the rite of afternoon tea.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/right:
right  [rahyt] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb, verb
Use right in a Sentence
–adjective
1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct.
2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer.
3. correct in judgment, opinion, or action.
4. fitting or appropriate; suitable: to say the right thing at the right time.
5. most convenient, desirable, or favorable: Omaha is the right location for a meatpacking firm.
6. of, pertaining to, or located on or near the side of a person or thing that is turned toward the east when the subject is facing north (opposed to left ).
7. in a satisfactory state; in good order: to put things right.
8. sound, sane, or normal: to be in one's right mind; She wasn't right in her head when she made the will.
9. in good health or spirits: I don't feel quite right today.
10. principal, front, or upper: the right side of cloth.
11. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to political conservatives or their beliefs.
12. socially approved, desirable, or influential: to go to the right schools and know the right people.
13. formed by or with reference to a perpendicular: a right angle.
14. straight: a right line.
15. Geometry. having an axis perpendicular to the base: a right cone.
16. Mathematics. pertaining to an element of a set that has a given property when placed on the right of an element or set of elements of the given set: a right identity.
17. genuine; authentic: the right owner.

So I'm not sure how the two are suppose to be related...

A rite is an established, ceremonious, usually religious act or process art.

Dive Rite would therefor be equated with a pre-dive ritual, possibly involving chanting?

And how do you pronounce "DIR" anyway? Is it "Derrr?", or maybe "Dear"? Or "Deer"?

Just kidding (which is I believe the OP's intent too) :D

Best wishes.

Only mildly offended. I dove Hogarthian long before there was this Kool-aid you call DIR :D

Mist of my gear is Dive-Rite, because I had a Dive-Rite dealer nearby. Now that I am near a Hollis dealer, I tend to buy Hollis. If you need some classic wings cheep, let me know....

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom