Anyone dove with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever dove with whale sharks? Where did you do it? What is the best location to find them and is it pretty rare to site them?

I dived with whale sharks many times while living/working in Thailand. There is nothing to prepare you for your first time with those amazing beasts. I hope you get your first encounter soon!

I'm not sure of the best place to see them. I have not dived the Sea of Cortez, but I have heard they are fairly common certain times of the year. Beware of any dive shop that guarantees them. Have fun and good luck.

I have done expeditions with the Shark Research Institute and assisted with their research trips. I have been to the Sea of Cortez in December when the juvenile sharks are in for feeding. It was awesome being part of a team that works on their conservation.

Here is the link to the site and their upcoming expeditions.
Shark Research Institute- Expeditions

3939526415_c967488c5b.jpg

Here is one of the sharks we measured, DNA sampled, and tagged. :)
Carolyn:shark2:

Has anyone ever dove with whale sharks? Where did you do it? What is the best location to find them and is it pretty rare to site them?

Snorkeled with one during a SI at the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico. It was pretty damn cool.

Many times at the Flower Gardens. If you want the best least expensive opportunity, I suggest Holbox, Mexico in the early summer. Last year they had 313 of them. (but who's counting?)

I have dived with them on a few different dives in Thailand, at Richelieu Rock and Ko Phi Phi. I had a small one to myself for a solid ten minutes before he got bored. I got 36 great shots with my NikonosV and a 20mm lens from as close as a meter away from his eyeball. Mark Strickland, the professional photographer, said, "I wish I took those shots." Yes, I lost the slides.

I think Ningaloo in Western Australia might be one of the most reliable places to find them these days, but I haven't been there yet.

i hear they are starting to migrate to the gulf of mexico. im in ms just east of biloxi and i hope to see some when my wife goes for her cert dives in feb in destin fl. i doubt ill see any but if i do, it will make my day to say the least.

We snorkeled with 6 over two mornings last March with Deep Blue Resort on Utila. I was on an SRI trip research trip also. They're more interesting, they bring in expert(s) and you assist with the research. The rest of the week we didn't see anything. Capt. Swin is one of the local experts at finding them. During peak weeks in their program they put on a spotter boat to locate them while you're doing your morning dives.

Back
Top Bottom