• DIR or mostly DIR

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • Traditional or mostly traditional

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Somewhere close to the middle

Votes: 33 31.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How many DIR divers do we have posting here?

How many traditional divers do we have here?

How many inbetween divers do we have here?

By DIR, I mean that you subscribe to most if not all of the DIR philosophy and dive standards.

By traditional, I mean that you have a C-card from one of the major organizations such as PADI or NAUI or YMCA...etc.

By inbetween, I mean that you like some of the DIR principles, and perhaps use a blend of both schools of thought.

I am traditional btw. Before I subscribed to this forum, I had never even heard of DIR and I have enjoyed some of the pointers, the debate is interesting as well, but I could really do without all of the heat that the debate generates, but it is understandable.

Take the time to vote, and perhaps put in a comment about why you voted the way you did. Lets try to keep the "debate" out of this one, but I would like to see the % that we have in here.

Thanks,

I voted for somewhere in between because, although I dive mostly traditional, I am intrigued by DIR.

After doing some reading, I realized that I already use a DIR configuration for my Gauges.

I dive with a back inflate BC and plan to go with a BP/Wing setup when I get doubles. At this time I still expect I will be happy with my current set up for shore/shallower dives, but am open to change if I have the "religious experience" :wink: that some people seem to when they switch.

As for full DIR training, why not? I love taking classes and learning new techniques. Worst case is I learn some new fin kicks and bouyancy control, and I really like the high emphasis DIR places on being a good buddy and drilling safety until it becomes second nature.

I am def in the middle of the road on the subject. I just took the DIR-F class, just to see what all the fuss was about. I tried the BP and frankly I found very little difference in it and my current warm water BC, doubles are a different matter. There is a lot of stuff in DIR that I like and I do believe in a lot of it- buddy skills, proper trim, long hoses and the like. But the "religious experience" that some seem to have or the total awe for the BP I sure did not have. If I were going to do cave or tech diving, I would most likely continue on the DIR path but for what I like to do, a mix seems best suited to my needs and liking. Outside of some new/better skills, the one thing I did get from the class was that there appears to be 2 kinds of DIR divers.. Real ones, which I assume my instructors are and the wanabees. The attitude and overall conduct of the instructors was what I feel all divers.....make that people... should be. A pleasure to spend time above and below the water with them.. I am beginning to believe the wanabees are the loud mouths that so many of us are tired of hearing, don't judge DIR by them.

I am still a newbee so I am a traditional diver, so far. Must be the way all / most people start these days, I guess.

I had been wandering what DIR means before and after finding this 'DIR?' post I think I have a good idea about what it is.

Using the wing sounds interesting, I usually have trouble staying horizontal (built in BCD i.e. big ‘floaty’ boobs :wink: ), and I had never thought of doing back-strokes…

As well as all the skills and buddy stuff...might try and find a course somewhere nearby...

I have an SSI C-Card and dive a jacket BC and split fins most of the time (hence no DIRF in my future due to split fins). I have been happy with that set-up.

When I dive doubles, I use some of the DIR tactics, but as the saying goes "you are DIR or you are not." Since I am not 100 percent DIR, I simply steal a couple of their ideas every once in a while and I am not DIR.

DIR

It's logical and makes sense to me so, that's what I do.

Knavey once bubbled...
By traditional, I mean that you have a C-card from one of the major organizations such as PADI or NAUI or YMCA...etc.>

Gue does currently not do open water certifications. Therefore almost all DIR divers would be traditional by this definition.

James

Knavey once bubbled...
By traditional, I mean that you have a C-card from one of the major organizations such as PADI or NAUI or YMCA...etc.
Well, seeing as there is no "DIR" open water course, pretty much anyone who considers themself DIR is going to have a PADI, NAUI, or other agency open water card. There is no GUE open water course.

Here's the same poll 2 months ago:

DIR Poll

I know it takes a little time, but there's a wealth of material here if you use the search function.

Knavey,

You need to either change your poll, or change your description of what each choice means.

GUE does not offer a C-card, yet. Therefore, you must have a c-card from other agencies in order to take their entry class, or DIR Fundamentals.

So I guess I could pick both option 1, and option 2.

In addition, although everyone who responded referred strictly to equipment configuration, is is only a part of the DIR philosophy. That's why you can't be "sort of DIR".

detroit diver once bubbled...
Knavey,

You need to either change your poll, or change your description of what each choice means.

GUE does not offer a C-card, yet. Therefore, you must have a c-card from other agencies in order to take their entry class, or DIR Fundamentals.

So I guess I could pick both option 1, and option 2.

In addition, although everyone who responded referred strictly to equipment configuration, is is only a part of the DIR philosophy. That's why you can't be "sort of DIR".
Did someone say option 1?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom