Hand warming methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in England. Once after a cold freshwater dive, we warmed our hands in an unusual way :: one of us had come in a lorry (USA: truck) and its exhaust pipe blew out low sideways. He started its engine and we warmed our hands in the exhaust gas.

My hands smelled of diesel exhaust afterwards. Presumably that is not what is meant by the persistent television advertisement for "fragrances by Diesel". :)

I'm rather fond of warming my hands by reaching under my wife's clothing while embracing her, and utilizing the warmth of her skin. It works well, and there's no unpleasant smell.

She, on the other hand, is not quite as fond of this method as I am.

I'm rather fond of warming my hands by reaching under my wife's clothing while embracing her, and utilizing the warmth of her skin. It works well, and there's no unpleasant smell.

She, on the other hand, is not quite as fond of this method as I am.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Exactly what I was thinking!

They make warming gel too!:D

I use these usually! Sam's or Costco usually has them in bulk for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-Body-Warmer-Count/dp/B0007ZF4Q8

+1 on the sodium acetate handwarmers. They work like a charm and don't get hotter as the PPO2 increases do you can use them under water.

R..

After the dive, on a cold day, at the local quarry, I have a large propane heater & a 20 lb propane bottle, that I set up in a changing shed (the ladies' side... of course:D). Although it doesn't get real warm, the heater knocks off a good portion of the chill, making it tolerable. I will put my hands near it to warm them ( I have no SO to use). One thing I did learn? Don't put them too close (I singed the hair off the back of my hands.... oops :D). The only thing about your method I might be concerned about (besides the smell) would be by having your face so close to the exhaust outlet, would be inhaling Carbon Monoxide. Even though also a risk using the propane heater I do, the changing shed is usually drafty enough to prevent too much build- up of CO. But to each their own.

can I refer you to the "To pee or not to pee" poll of October 3rd

can i re-explain the fact that peeing in your wetsuit does not warm you up, except for momentarily. It actually causes a physiological reaction in your body that cools you off even more..... besides, he said he didn't like the smell of exhaust, i cant imagine piss is much better.

try filling a thermos with water as warm as you can stand, pour inside your wetsuit and gloves. also great for repetitive dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom