Which mask type for best view?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Which mask type provides the best view (horiz/vert)?

-Single pane low profile
-Double pane low profile
-Tri-window

Fit is the most important thing out there. You could have a mask that is reputed to have the best view around, however if it leaks and you're constantly having to clear it, what good is that view?

The answer to your question is HydroOptix MEGA 4.5 DD.... but as the the others have mentioned, fit is the prerequisite to make the mask's features and benefit work for you.

I don't mean to sound rude because I'm absolutely not intending to be, but I think that whatever differences there may be would be so minute as to be barely noticeable, if at all.

For what it's worth, I use an Atomic subframe, which is a double pane low profile mask, and am very happy with my field of vision.

A lot of work was done on this, if I remember, the single pane kidney shape with big drop-downs gave the best stereo field of vision while the low volume double pane gave the widest field of vision.

Yes the Hydroptix is better than either ... but it has it's own special problems.

The one that fits. :wink:

DCBC has a good comment, as usual.

We have found the bio-metal pro fits a lot of folks and has a very good field of vision with very low volume.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Masks: Bio Metal

I started with a ScubaPro three window mask with enough volume that it took a lot of effort to clear. Then on to a swimmaster tear drop shaped double pane-good mask, later the frameless and other low volume models.

As mentioned by DCBC, and others, a good fit is the most important thing in mask selection. There are lots of good choices.

I should have added if fit isn't an issue. Just wanted to get feedback from veterans out there who may have tried different styles and could comment on which they thought was better. Not really interested in the Hydroptix as my first mask :)

I guess, more specifically I was wondering about the Scubapro Crystal VU (single pane with side windows) vision compared to the low volume frameless masks. I don't think the LDS's around me offer comparing masks out in the pool before purchase, which I understand.

Thalassamania, can you point me to any of the studies that were done comparing vision? By stereo vision, do you mean non-distortion?

Thanks all

I've been looking for the reference. I think it was in a volume edited by Bacarach in the 1970s. That study could not have looked a frameless masks, which did not exist then, but I do recall that it rejected triple pane masks because of the disorientation due to the non-parallel faces.

By stereo I mean binocular vision.

Back
Top Bottom