Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
They had enough tanks, hoses, canisters, lights, snaps, manifolds, and assorted crap that they could hardly move. They looked like they'd escaped from an ICU. They had to be helped into the water and it took two guys to get them back on the boat and untangled. That 7' noose...er, hose caught on everything.
Any more stuff and we'll have to put them in the water like a burial at sea. Slide them off a board.

On my trip to Tobermory a couple weeks ago, we had two guys with us who were really "geared up". Not DIR, but close. One was wearing three different tanks. An AL-80 to breathe (with a octo as I recall) , a pony will full regulator (that he never needed to use, and an argon bottle for his suit inflator. Additionally, he had an 'extra' low pressure inflator hose on his main tank in case the argon bottle wasn't working. Man what a lot of hoses and stuff he had on! Nice guy, great diver and wonderful to have on the dive boat, but really busy with all that gear.

I'm taking my 'simple' backplate rig to Higgins Lake on Saturday to get some nitrogen in my blood stream.... Can't wait.

Don't sound like DIR divers to me...

I have a Hogarthian rig so I *look* like a DIR guy, and the only thing I heard last time i went out was "Hey Jon... how the hell do you manage to look so clean and streamlined?"

But in any case, let's see some pictures of you all rigged up to go diving. We'll post some pictures of some DIR guys and let everyone else compare.

Oh, do you dive doubles with stage bottles and a canister light? If not, I guess I can see how such a setup would look so cumbersome..

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
On my trip to Tobermory a couple weeks ago, we had two guys with us who were really "geared up". Not DIR, but close. One was wearing three different tanks. An AL-80 to breathe (with a octo as I recall) , a pony will full regulator (that he never needed to use, and an argon bottle for his suit inflator. Additionally, he had an 'extra' low pressure inflator hose on his main tank in case the argon bottle wasn't working. Man what a lot of hoses and stuff he had on! Nice guy, great diver and wonderful to have on the dive boat, but really busy with all that gear.

I'm taking my 'simple' backplate rig to Higgins Lake on Saturday to get some nitrogen in my blood stream.... Can't wait.

.... none of that stuff is DIR. I don't get it..

Close? That's about as far from a DIR rig as you can get!

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...

we were at Tobermory last weekend...Tim,Tim,Dr.Jesse,Brian,
Chris and Chris. I forgot that they had ponys too! If they ever got in trouble we'd need the Jaws of Life to get them out of their dive outfits. I think I'll stay with a traditional rig.:rolleyes:

I mostly dive with the same partner around here, and some of the guys from the Dive Shop in Flint. Don't know ANYONE who is really DIR. In fact, with the backplate rig I use, I'm closer to it then anyone I have dove with. Can't say that I'm looking to go to long and short hoses and that rig any time soon....

Tho' I did dive with a fellow in St. Thomas who was in the full DIR rig, and he was an EXCELLENT diver and good dive master. That's kind of what got me going on the backplate rig....he seemed so well rigged and logical in his approach to diving.

I recant my original statement, the guys I dove with in Tobermory weren't DIR, just equipment heavy and I was really confused by all the gear that they found it necessary to wear....

Back
Top Bottom