Trying to get a local quarry open for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazy33charlie

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello All,

Question: Does anyone know of any examples of quarries or other bodies of water that
are managed by municipalities for the purpose of scuba diving?

I am working on a project to get a local quarry opened up to scuba divers. The water is managed by a city parks and rec department right now. Does anyone know of any examples; here in the States or abroad, of local governments managing scuba dive sites?
There are multiple issues involved in this process, some water quality related, some use related, some legal / liability related...that said I do believe the project could definitely generate revenue for the city as it would be the closest site to couple million people in the metropolitan area...

Thanks for any help you can give

Stephen

Whitestar Quarry in Ohio is operated by the Sandusky County Park District. Check out the website for further info.

Excellent! Thanks for your help this will give me some good points to jump off into the research

Stephen

Dutch Springs in PA is packed during summer months with any number of divers. Dutch is an example of how to do this right. Numerous platforms are moored of at varying depths for you to dive on (or under) and there are all manner of things to dive on and practice your skills - a large Sikorsky helicopter, a cement truck, a light plane, a crane and so on. There is a fill station on site and a very respectable dive shop about a mile away (LeHigh Divers). A day pass is $34. Season passes are very reasonable. For a land-locked facility is pretty damned good.

There's a few in NC that I go to regularly. Here's a few of the closest to me.....

fantasyscubapark.com

ncpdra.org

Alabama Blue Water Adventures has private quarry that is very active. There may be a way to buy one out right from the city at a low price Alabama Blue Water Adventures Welcome to ?The Pelham Keys? 100 Industrial Park Drive, Pelham, Alabama 35124 (205) 663-7428 (205) 663-0287 (Fax)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom